Stainless E9 bumpers from ebay (kuhlauto)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently had VSR one fit up a set of stainless bumpers I bought off Ebay. These are sold by "kuhlauto" (Pete B in California). The buying process was ok. Very little communcation/status udpates from seller and the bumpers took nearly a month longer to arrive. But, Pete's a trust worthy guy.

When we unpacked the bumpers at VSR1, everyone was impressed with the cosmetics.

VSR1 then fit them up to the car (which is setup for 1972 and earlier bumpers).

REAR:
TWIST
Fitment wasn't too bad. Both ends had some twist to them that was mostly removed by counter twisting them. When I installed them, there was still a slight twist and a slight offset to one side of the car (see the URL below). Things to note: the twist is visible as a gap at the 1 ends that attach up near the wheel wells. The rounded ends contact the body first at their lower part, leaving a 1/4" gap at the top (space between black rubber edging and the body. This was present at both sides. I was able to pull it in with the bumper mount bolts, but the stock bumpers didn't have this problem. On the right bumper tip, you can see a slight unevenness in the gasket. The end of the bumper wasn't cut off straight, and I should have fixed it with a hand held grinder (60 sec fix), but the grinder was in the other garage and I have a sprained ankle today and said screw it.

ASYMMETRY
The next issue I noticed is that the bumper fit up offset to the left side by about 1/2". In one pic you can see there's a sizable gap between the longitudinal bumper blade and the body, and the right side blade is actually up against the paint. I pulled the bumper even using a tie-down strap (pic) and snugged up the 4 rear mounting bolts to hold it in alignment. I suppose the right way to have fixed the problem would've been to increase the bend angle of the right half and decrease it for the left half. I think you might need a couple of come-alongs to do this because these stainless bumpers are pretty darn rigid (and you'd have to pull it very straight to avoid adding a new twist to the bumpers. See the pic of the ends laying in the grass, The red arrows call out the fact that one 'blade' is about 1/4" (maybe 3/16") narrower than the other. Once the bumper's on the car you can't see this, but I thought it would've been nice if they had been more accurately made.

OVERALL:
It took a good 2 hours to fit them up to the car. FWIW, I wrapped the ends in that plastic they use on pallets etc for shipping. It's thin but a few layers were enough to protect the paint. I ripped the stuff off just before I did the final tighten on the mounting bolts. I put 2 layers of masking tape at a few points on the bottom center to keep it from getting scratched. I mounted by holding the bumpers of the ground on some cardboard boxes that were cut to be the right height. That allowed me to slowly move the bumper in position bit by bit without scratching the body. This and the front can be done this way by 1 person.

MISC: my license plate bottom touches the top of the new bumper. This is partly because the small piece that covers the center joint and 3 center bolts is taller/thicker in cross section than the original chromed piece. I'll trim my license plate bottom to gain some clearance.

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/xkfeng/library/Stainless Bumpers?sort=3&page=1

FRONTS: more in another post.

CONCLUSION: these bumpers cost nearly 1/3 less than a concours rechromed OE set and they'll never rust. Cosmetically I thought they were great. Fitment was not very good as received. The rear's worked out with a few hours extra labor that an OE set would not require. Not so with the fronts so I ended up using a OE front bumper I bought from a forum member. I'll get into the fitment and compatibility issues with the front in a few days.

John

P.S. If anyone else is seriously considering these bumpers, contact me privately.

Last edited:

loloe13

Reaction score
are they heavier?

John:

very informative write up
just wondering, did the s/s set felt heavier or lighter than the oem chrome bumpers?

Gavin

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
SS bumpers

John:

very informative write up
just wondering, did the s/s set felt heavier or lighter than the oem chrome bumpers?

Gavin

Gavin, no I didn't compare. Looking back, I'd say they probably were heavier. What I did notice is that they seemed stiffer than steel bumpers (when I was making a slight adjustment to the rears to get them to fit better). In this regard, I'd prefer that the center "bolt cover" were made out of thinner SS. The material used on my set is pretty heavy and it was a slight annoyance to get that piece fitted and "crimped" over the center joint. The OE chromed steel piece is much thinner, more pliable and can be fitted by hand (I had to use some woodworking clamps.

John

loloe13

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up.
I was initially contemplating on getting a set too, or even just the s/s centre cover piece for replacement. the asking price was about 100us, just for that piece. but sounds like the fitting may need a bit of skill...
I also wonder, is it better to have a stiffer external bumper for protection? or will it likely cause more body (structural) damage with minor accident? Yet the finish looks quite neat, and it certainly won't rust. :smile:
Gavin

Gavin......... What I did notice is that they seemed stiffer than steel bumpers (when I was making a slight adjustment to the rears to get them to fit better). In this regard, I'd prefer that the center "bolt cover" were made out of thinner SS. The material used on my set is pretty heavy and it was a slight annoyance to get that piece fitted and "crimped" over the center joint. .............

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
questions

Thanks for the heads-up.
I was initially contemplating on getting a set too, or even just the s/s centre cover piece for replacement. the asking price was about 100us, just for that piece. but sounds like the fitting may need a bit of skill...
I also wonder, is it better to have a stiffer external bumper for protection? or will it likely cause more body (structural) damage with minor accident? Yet the finish looks quite neat, and it certainly won't rust. :smile:
Gavin

Gavin,
I don't think fitting requires any additional skill over fitting used bumpers to any pre-74 european car with chromed steel bumpers. I suppose a new set from BMW might need a bit less fiddling, but given the cost of OE, the savings more than made up for the time spent.

FWIW, It's much easier than, for example, fitting bumpers to a series 1 Jaguar E-type. On the E9, there are only 4 places where the bumper touches the body (the ends), and the rest is spaced away from the body enough that minor differences aren't very important. The exception, as I noted, was fitting a CSL spoiler on the front combined with using 1972 and earlier front bumper brackets. Based on what I heard from the seller, these were patterned after a set of bumpers off a 1973 CSi. It would probably have fit okay with 1973 front bumper brackets.

t would have been great if the seller had been accurate about what pattern was used BEFORE I bought this set. I don't think he knew that the US 1973 bumpers were different than the Euro and 72-earlier.