Squatting Semi-Trailer

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Way off topic. An old semi trailer came with some property I bought. It is not movable—the axles and hubs are toast, king pin toast, no usable wheels or tires. Went by a truck salvage yard and Big Joe spit out something about a torch between laughs and quoting $2000 to remove it. He also had the genius suggestion I could bury it. (Pro tip—don’t wear business attire to a truck salvage yard.). (Upside is its empty, given a prior owner’s record of drug M&T.

Any better ideas how to get rid of this thing?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I get calls for box trucks, trailers and old RV's we have very few options. The biggest problem right now is scrap metal value is very low and won't be coming up anytime soon, so it's more expensive to move the stuff than what you get paid in salvage. A torch isn't a bad idea, then find the closest scrap metal company and take loads down to them. You might want to contact them first and see if they have any restrictions... title/paperwork. On a big property with a backhoe they do get buried sometimes unfortunately.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I get calls for box trucks, trailers and old RV's we have very few options. The biggest problem right now is scrap metal value is very low and won't be coming up anytime soon, so it's more expensive to move the stuff than what you get paid in salvage. A torch isn't a bad idea, then find the closest scrap metal company and take loads down to them. You might want to contact them first and see if they have any restrictions... title/paperwork. On a big property with a backhoe they do get buried sometimes unfortunately.

Thanks. Seems obvious now, but a contractor friend is checking with demo company he works with. The more I think about renting torch and buying gas and trying not to burn down the east side of town in 100 degree temps, the more I'm willing to pay someone else to do it.

Local news has focused on scrap buyers lately. All of our street lights are being converted from copper wire because they keep getting stripped regardless of cameras & countermeasures. If your AC is not protected near downtown, it'll get stripped in days. Police just did a sting. Title/paperwork violations were the biggest ding--owners were surprisingly willing to comment to the news, admit the error, and discuss what they try to do. They clearly have tried to work with police and saw the stings as grandstanding for the media and mayor. 2 yards apparently have gone out of business in the last year.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The more I think about renting torch and buying gas and trying not to burn down the east side of town in 100 degree temps, the more I'm willing to pay someone else to do it.
Yeah, I'm with you, I'm not a torch kinda guy, but I have gone crazy with gas powered chop saws in the past. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can also rent or buy a plasma cutter if you have power to the area. They make a lot of sparks also though.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
To use a plasma cutter you need clean and dry compressed air. Not always easy to do remotely. They are fun. I'm amazed I live through it when I use mine.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can also rent or buy a plasma cutter if you have power to the area. They make a lot of sparks also though.

Definitely no 220 out there. Fire really is a concern with cedar, overgrown field & an old shed nearby. Massive road-jumping fires in that area during the last drought--I never want to be that guy. If you've never seen a red cedar go up, I'm convinced they're filled with napalm.

Put a bed in it and rent it out as one of those small houses.

Judging by the droppings and hay piles/nests inside, a writ of eviction and the sheriff would be required to dispossess whatever lives there now. Wife stood far away when I opened the door.

You know, I think we need to see photos. What do you think guys? If Jay posts photos we can give him a LOT more ideas and opinions. ;)

Yes, super helpful! But just for kicks, I'll get some Friday or Sat. when I go back out there.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Metal saws with cold cut blades are pretty amazing in what they can eat through. No sparks, just chips. Usually these blades are on chop saws and spin at a higher rpm than abrasive discs. Perhaps there is a hand held gas powered version you could rent.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Metal saws with cold cut blades are pretty amazing in what they can eat through. No sparks, just chips. Usually these blades are on chop saws and spin at a higher rpm than abrasive discs. Perhaps there is a hand held gas powered version you could rent.
Indeed. I have a bench version, "chop saw" with the cold cut blade. It slices through thick steel like butter. I didn't realize they came as a mobile saw. Good idea.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They're the feral hog of trees!

So awesome...I will be using that line in the near future! We have a "Mountain Juniper" here in Central Texas... it is also the feral hog of trees. Invasive, water suckers... easily encroaching and out-competing live oaks and such. Feral hogs... wow, don't get me started. At least they are delicious :)

Ed Z

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Even with abated fire risk, I’ve realized no desire exists to spend a day tackling a 50’ long 13’ high box of tetanus & rat feces, especially in August, only to be left to dispose of a metal pile no one wants. It is out of sight, so it’ll stay until I decide whether to keep the property and make it a contractor’s problem.
Then again, one of my partners suggested dynamite o_O