Soon to be new owner (fingers crossed)

hankslick

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have loved but never owned the E9 since it was first released. Had a 328i wagon, a 1988 M6, and currently own an old Jaguar ('66 E-type coupe I spent 5 years restoring, doing almost all the work myself.) Life is short, I'm not young, and I must have one of these German masterpieces (though didn't an Italian design the E9?)
I'm eyeing one in Monterey, California - low mileage, claim of no rust (impossible, right?), having a PPI done this week. Let's say this car checks out - what do you owners do to prevent future rust? I know all the hidden areas on the Jaguar E-type and where to shoot the cavity wax, how about the BMW E9? Thanks, Henry in Portland, OR, home base Marin County, CA.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! If you live in Marin, garage the car and don't drive it all the time you probably don't need to worry about any rust or rust getting worse.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you mean this coupe talk to OCCoupe first, he knows these cars inside and out.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hankslick - I can't tell if you have begun the process of getting to know the e9 owners in your area, but if you have not I highly recommend it. You are located relatively close to a bunch of friendly and extremely knowledgeable people.

hankslick

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you mean this coupe talk to OCCoupe first, he knows these cars inside and out.

Thanks HB Chris. Same seller, different e9. Seller seems incredibly honest and not trying to hide anything on this or his other E9.

hankslick

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hankslick - I can't tell if you have begun the process of getting to know the e9 owners in your area, but if you have not I highly recommend it. You are located relatively close to a bunch of friendly and extremely knowledgeable people.
Will do, how do I find locations of members? (I’m sure it’s obvious but as I’m new here, would appreciate a step saved. )

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will do, how do I find locations of members? (I’m sure it’s obvious but as I’m new here, would appreciate a step saved. )

HBChris and OCCoupe are both great people, with deep of knowledge on our cars and long lists of contacts. Start with HBChris' suggestion to engage OCCoupe to evaluate the car you are considering. Heck, if it is for sale in Monterey he probably knows the car already.

While in the process of discussing the car, ask OCCoupe about gatherings in the area that are likely to include coupe owners, jump in the Jag and start showing up. And then find time to get to OCCoupe's shop, buy him lunch and pick his brain about this.

hankslick

Site Donor $
Reaction score
HBChris and OCCoupe are both great people, with deep of knowledge on our cars and long lists of contacts. Start with HBChris' suggestion to engage OCCoupe to evaluate the car you are considering. Heck, if it is for sale in Monterey he probably knows the car already.

While in the process of discussing the car, ask OCCoupe about gatherings in the area that are likely to include coupe owners, jump in the Jag and start showing up. And then find time to get to OCCoupe's shop, buy him lunch and pick his brain about this.
Wanted to thank you for your great suggestions, a little slow as I'm on a demanding work-related project. H

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
To slow down rust, there are a couple different types of products, one is like a thick wax the other is thinner
I don't think the wax stuff would flow into the seams and that is where the rust gets started
What I used,
Wurth Cavity Protection Spray
Wurth products are a little hard to find, I ordered it here
https://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-cavity-protection-spray.html
Very helpful guy
I had the carpet out so I drilled some small holes along the top of the rocker box

hankslick

Site Donor $
Reaction score
To slow down rust, there are a couple different types of products, one is like a thick wax the other is thinner
I don't think the wax stuff would flow into the seams and that is where the rust gets started
What I used,
Wurth Cavity Protection Spray
Wurth products are a little hard to find, I ordered it here
https://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-cavity-protection-spray.html
Very helpful guy
I had the carpet out so I drilled some small holes along the top of the rocker box
Good idea, I’ve used wurth undercoating and it was excellent.