So who is doing what in Monterey

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With most of my household on the road these days I am free to swing by Monterey maybe Friday/Saturday.

I am a bit paralyzed by the pile of decisions I need to make though.

Which car to take? The E24 had tranny work done and is running better than new, it will be fun to drive it and a sure way to get a speeding ticket. The 318i went through its full repaint, serviced, etc, and is so nimble on the highway that I will surely get one speeding ticket each way. The E39 M5 goes through tires even when parked. I hated the run flats so I put 4 new non run flat Michelins, the car now smoothly eats highways for breakfast. Unless I get a flat tire they will not catch that car to give me a ticket.
Or is the coupe the best option? I will have to wash it at least to make it presentable.

Do I need to register or can I just show up?

Who is going and what activities are there? Is it still all German cars? I would love to mingle with the Italian car crowd, is that possible or verboden? Do I take my son, are there other youngsters? Can somebody teach him how to drive stickshift?

Paralyzed in Cupertino.

Attachments

• IMG_0818 copy.jpg
    IMG_0818 copy.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 114

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, if showing your car at Legends on Friday you need to register ASAP. I highly recommend it. Concourso is Saturday for the Italian crowd but they do have non-Italian cars as well or do the track on Saturday.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Concorso is there! I may drive the Fulvia so I get to know that crowd.
Can one visit Legends from Concorso?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Arde -- Legends is Friday; Concorso is Saturday.

Bring the coupe and come to Legends!

And by the way, my e39 540 also chews through brakes when sitting still...

jmackro

Reaction score
Do I need to register or can I just show up?

Arde:

Have you been to Monterey before? Recently? You need to plan your trip like a military campaign. Preferably well in advance.

Yes, you need to pre-register for Legends and Concorso. But the bigger issues are traffic and housing. If you drive down on Friday morning, leave early - highway one going into Monterey will be busy. And if you want to stay over Friday night, start calling now. Salinas is probably your best bet if Legends, Concorso, Laguna Seca are your targets.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok I will work on registration first. Anybody also going to Concorso? Jay you have a bunch of Alfas...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Reach out to Mike Berger; I think he is planning on Concorso. Wayne, Peter, Andrew and I are going to the track on Saturday.

jmackro

Reaction score
Ok I will work on registration first. Anybody also going to Concorso? Jay you have a bunch of Alfas...

I do have a bunch of Alfas, and for many years faithfully displayed one of them at the Concorso. Then I just burned out on it. But don't let me influence your decision to go - it is a neat affair (just skip the new Ferrari section, which is about half of the field).

In fact, I am going to miss Monterey this year, for the first time in a long time. Had trouble getting reservations, wanted to see the eclipse, my buddy who always enters a car on the Avenue in Carmel is taking a year off, I needed a break, ...

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will be at Legends Friday and I know not an E9 - forgive me:) but I will be showing this 1928 Isotta Fraschini on the lawn on Sunday..... its Isotta's year this year and this is my one piece of prewar Jewelry, so I can't miss that.

if anybody is stumping up the crazy ticket price for the concours, please do come by and say hello.

I only show a picture of the car, because that will be easier to spot, than little old me.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 108
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 102
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I am going to Concorso on Saturday. Just better so I can stay at work Friday, and the Fulvia has never been in public while the coupe has.
Stop by if you are around Saturday, if you do not have a ticket just walk backwards and they will think you are leaving.
Bright yellow Fulvia Monte Carlo, you can't miss me.

shanon

Reaction score
Cant make it this year but caught the Pre-Historics this weekend.
4 e9s present. Lotsa neat stuff on track. Lotus 22r found most impressive doing 1:37s....crushed its field..A Gt40 did similar, fastest of big bore group. Fastest e type got crunched, bummer.

enjoy next weekend!

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll be there for a few Singer events. The Legends with my original Ceylon CS until it's over then off to the end of Quail. Concordia Saturday.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Arde, I will be at Concorso with my red (how imaginative) Alfa Sprint rally car. I will look for the Fulvia, which is a car for the cognoscenti for sure.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Awesome, I plan to craft my own Italian brown bag lunch with a friend. I can stock up for three, unless you bought the "Al Fresco" lunch package.

Arde, I will be at Concorso with my red (how imaginative) Alfa Sprint rally car. I will look for the Fulvia, which is a car for the cognoscenti for sure.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry, all this Italiano Concorso, Montelcino, Barbaresco, my Villa in Antinori talk has my Germano blood starting to boil.......why are you discussing this here? Get on your Alfa sites and figure this shi8 out. This is an E9 and E3 site. Bring a BMW or don't talk about it here. Good for you, go to Consorso Sat. Your going to miss out on some great vintage racing Sat. and Sun. at Laguna Seca. Figure it out, there is a lot to do. Keep the Italian trash on another site. Jay, Peter, no disrespect but c-,mon, you are all respected members here. We don't care about that stuff. I'm glad it's Ferrari's 70th, and a big reason I'm going to the track, but I could care less about them on a lawn...yawn......

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Awesome, I plan to craft my own Italian brown bag lunch with a friend. I can stock up for three, unless you bought the "Al Fresco" lunch package.
Thanks for the offer, but I stupidly coughed up the big money for the Al Fresco lunch.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, all this Italiano Concorso, Montelcino, Barbaresco, my Villa in Antinori talk has my Germano blood starting to boil.......why are you discussing this here? Get on your Alfa sites and figure this shi8 out. This is an E9 and E3 site. Bring a BMW or don't talk about it here. Good for you, go to Consorso Sat. Your going to miss out on some great vintage racing Sat. and Sun. at Laguna Seca. Figure it out, there is a lot to do. Keep the Italian trash on another site. Jay, Peter, no disrespect but c-,mon, you are all respected members here. We don't care about that stuff. I'm glad it's Ferrari's 70th, and a big reason I'm going to the track, but I could care less about them on a lawn...yawn......

There would be no e9 if not for Bertone...just sayin'.