Slow windows, windows don't fully recede

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I searched and found "Fastest Windows in the West." My electric door windows take about 10 seconds to rise and drop. Typical? Anything to speed them up?

The top window edges (both sides) do not fully recede into the door, but stick up about 1/2" (1.25 cm). Typical? Can this be corrected?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I searched and found "Fastest Windows in the West." My electric door windows take about 10 seconds to rise and drop. Typical? Anything to speed them up?

The top window edges (both sides) do not fully recede into the door, but stick up about 1/2" (1.25 cm). Typical? Can this be corrected?

gazzol

Reaction score
This is completely normal, Even when the cars were new the windows were slow compared to other cars at the time and this was a frequent criticism by contemporary road testers. As for the front windows not receding completely alas that is normal too.
Some people on here (Do a search) have upgraded the motors by fitting (I may be wrong) the motors from the rear doors of an E28 which will fit the E9 mechanism and work more quickly.

gazzol

Reaction score
This is completely normal, Even when the cars were new the windows were slow compared to other cars at the time and this was a frequent criticism by contemporary road testers. As for the front windows not receding completely alas that is normal too.
Some people on here (Do a search) have upgraded the motors by fitting (I may be wrong) the motors from the rear doors of an E28 which will fit the E9 mechanism and work more quickly.

DJSimca

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

Sounds as if your windows are in good shape :D
and they don't 'disappear' completely

DJSimca

Reaction score
ES 1800 said:

Sounds as if your windows are in good shape :D
and they don't 'disappear' completely

oldcoupe

Reaction score
I put in E28 motors for the door windows, hoping for fast glass, and the slight improvement probably wasn't worth the work.

When I rebuilt- cleaned, oiled, greased the rear originals they improved out of all recognition.

I'd recommend you try cleaning and oiling the front motors first, as the E28s don't just go straight in although it's not difficult. Also you have to, in the case of the earlier (pre 73) wiring, work out the reattachment of the wiring to the console switches and include a connection to earth.

The windows on my E28 aren't all that fast anyway.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
I put in E28 motors for the door windows, hoping for fast glass, and the slight improvement probably wasn't worth the work.

When I rebuilt- cleaned, oiled, greased the rear originals they improved out of all recognition.

I'd recommend you try cleaning and oiling the front motors first, as the E28s don't just go straight in although it's not difficult. Also you have to, in the case of the earlier (pre 73) wiring, work out the reattachment of the wiring to the console switches and include a connection to earth.

The windows on my E28 aren't all that fast anyway.

lloyd

Reaction score
Disappearing rear window glass?

HB Chris said:
They should disappear, just adjust the bottom stop inside the door.

I know the glass can be made to sit so that the top of the window is flush with the sill. I do not think the factory intended this. I can't say why, or that it is logical or more aesthetic. I remember cars in the showroom had that very quirk. FWIW, it may sound silly, but it was once explained to me that this discouraged protruding arms.

A similar quirk are the protruding door lock buttons. They can easily be modified to sit flush with the top of the door skin casing, but they did not come that way from Munchen. One explanation is as good as the next.

Re window speed, I tend to think swapping motors may be overrated. Take the existing motor and test it without the load of the window. You may find it works just fine. Alternatively, wearing suitable gloves, try to move the window up and down in its guides/channels. If you have to muscle it, cleaning and lubing those guides is indicated. Even loosening things up with light oil or solvent may do the trick. Otherwise, you might invest in a diesel powered window lift. :lol:

I do not know about 1/4 mile window lift speed, but unless you are set on joining the super stock modified class, consider also that original motors may have lost much their original lubrication as grease migrates and congeals - away from any gearing or moving motor parts. The remedy is to clean and relubricate. Given the years, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this could be true of even the replacement 5 series motors.

hth