Show your...Steering wheel(s)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 40914 I was lucky to acquire this absolutely gorgeous Alpina Petri horn button. I’ve examimed it and it hasn’t been tampered with, its infact brand new and superior quality to the standard bmw horn button. Exact dimensions and the rear is exactly right too.
Take a look. I’ve also added a pic of another Petri that I came across with the same horn ring.

It’s on my csl leather Petri, now one of a kind.

Its twin!

https://m.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E3-E9-3-0...183415?hash=item1ca1c5ddb7:g:qHoAAOSw7rdaiHG9

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not quite Rob, that isint a Petri horn button, rather a momo or something else.
Apart from the fact that the wheel is in poor shape with incorrect hub and highly overpriced.

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Picked up this stunning NOS, original 38cm Italvolante Ati-3 Wheel. I am not an expert on these, but from what I was able to research the Ati 3 wheel is a first generation version that was made specifically for 2002’s and e9’s, the original hub that came with mine fits both and it’s longer than the CSL Petri hub.

Historically the wheel was used for factory race cars such as Procar series (M1) and DRM (German Racing Series with 3.5 CSL Batmobile) and later in the e30 M3 in DTM (then with Indianapolis engraved on the wheel), It was also available for street cars: e9 coupe, 02, e21, e12 (only 1 year). I think most of us are more familiar with the later generation E21 and e12 versions that have the Motorsport symbol on them, but the earlier e9 and 2002 version did not because Motorsport GmbH was founded in 1972 and the grey logo appeared later (1975).

The wheel was not an option in the 02/e9 extra listings, but was presented in the showrooms of the dealers and it was pretty expensive. Way more expensive than a Petri from what I was told. So the wheels available with the BMW Motorsport logo were later models sold at the time when e12/e21 were produced and e9 and 2002 were out of production. I didn’t have this one for long - it’s going on a friends CSL where it should be right at home.

44C753E2-F939-45AC-AE47-439DEFC40D43.jpeg
00193069-2091-42EB-859D-529B9FD400C7.jpeg
18E4436C-9A48-4759-A9B9-D204E71D7EE5.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Howdy and a big WOW!
Gorgeous wheel. I can well imagine that it was way more expensive than a Petri.
And a great write up too John. I didn’t realize the with and without logo. You sure know your stuff!
Will certainly look very cool on a csl although my personal preference is black wheels except the csl leather 38cm Petri. Any sorted csl has to have the factory wheel, the Petri, regardless of wich other complimentary wheels one has.
Many thanks for sharing, would love to see a pic of the csl this wheel is going to adorn.

Regards
Keshav

Spectacular condition. Incredible

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Historically the wheel was used for factory race cars such as Procar series (M1) and DRM (German Racing Series with 3.5 CSL Batmobile) and later in the e30 M3 in DTM (then with Indianapolis engraved on the wheel), It was also available for street cars: e9 coupe, 02, e21, e12 (only 1 year). I think most of us are more familiar with the later generation E21 and e12 versions that have the Motorsport symbol on them, but the earlier e9 and 2002 version did not because Motorsport GmbH was founded in 1972 and the grey logo appeared later (1975).

The wheel was not an option in the 02/e9 extra listings, but was presented in the showrooms of the dealers and it was pretty expensive. Way more expensive than a Petri from what I was told. So the wheels available with the BMW Motorsport logo were later models sold at the time when e12/e21 were produced and e9 and 2002 were out of production. I didn’t have this one for long - it’s going on a friends CSL where it should be right at home.

Hi John,

I know very little about the history of BMW Motorsport or BMW's in general. I typically rely on historical photographs and videos to help gleam specifics about things I encounter. Which of course leads to more questions. The video below, advertised as the 1973 CSL racing video. It is clearly a compilation of multiple cars but not necessarily multiple years. The car in question is a widebody (not group 5) CSL with a #4 on it. Driven in the video by Stuck. In the video he has a motorsport logo on his helmet, and the motorsport logo is also present on the Italvolanti steering wheel. This doesn't look like 1975 footage to me. Are you certain that the logo wasn't used internally prior to 1975? Clearly the logo was used on e9 racecars as inidcated from the footage. I know that you have moved on from this wheel by now, but what do you think?

stuck_helmet.jpg
stuck_steering.jpg

c9f86e16cc8b976edc5ac7933d7949f7--posters-vintage-vintage-ads.jpg

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Hi John,

I know very little about the history of BMW Motorsport or BMW's in general. I typically rely on historical photographs and videos to help gleam specifics about things I encounter. Which of course leads to more questions. The video below, advertised as the 1973 CSL racing video. It is clearly a compilation of multiple cars but not necessarily multiple years. The car in question is a widebody (not group 5) CSL with a #4 on it. Driven in the video by Stuck. In the video he has a motorsport logo on his helmet, and the motorsport logo is also present on the Italvolanti steering wheel. This doesn't look like 1975 footage to me. Are you certain that the logo wasn't used internally prior to 1975? Clearly the logo was used on e9 racecars as inidcated from the footage. I know that you have moved on from this wheel by now, but what do you think?

Hi Mark, that is a very cool video! Well, like I said I am in no way an expert on BMW Motorsport history either, most of what I know just comes from doing a little research and speaking with other BMW owners. The dates I mentioned could be off somewhat of course, as your video tends to indicate, but some others more knowledgeable than I have indicated that the early Ati 3 wheel was pre-motorsport logo and that they didn't overlap. But who knows for sure, I don't think anyone cared about any of this back in those days - only us steering wheel sickos now! o_O At least we know it was used for racing for sure! ;)

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark, that is a very cool video! Well, like I said I am in no way an expert on BMW Motorsport history either, most of what I know just comes from doing a little research and speaking with other BMW owners. The dates I mentioned could be off somewhat of course, as your video tends to indicate, but some others more knowledgeable than I have indicated that the early Ati 3 wheel was pre-motorsport logo and that they didn't overlap. But who knows for sure, I don't think anyone cared about any of this back in those days - only us steering wheel sickos now! o_O At least we know it was used for racing for sure! ;)

Yes I'm not sure about the dates, but that doesn't take away from your wheels place in the period. The solid hub is awesome. It seems like most of the momo collapsible hubs appeared in the late 70's, and I'm guessing the same is the case for Italvolanti. BTW - below is another great video. I had watched this video on Amazon about six months ago. I didn't know it was available on youtube until today. :)

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Markos,

Thanks for sharing this great documentary!! Really enjoyed watching it, a trip down memory lane and the explanation for my life long affair with BMW and Porsche. Those days are gone forever but we lived them and treasure them more with every day we grow older.;)

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Keshav , is this another one one sale? NMNA.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Nos-Petri-H...-er-E10-2002-Ti-i-Turbo-Oldtimer/253448329000

I was lucky to acquire this absolutely gorgeous Alpina Petri horn button. I’ve examimed it and it hasn’t been tampered with, its infact brand new and superior quality to the standard bmw horn button. Exact dimensions and the rear is exactly right too.
Take a look. I’ve also added a pic of another Petri that I came across with the same horn ring.

It’s on my csl leather Petri, now one of a kind.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is an unflattering pic of the early 1966-1967 380mm Le Mans wheels that I bought a few months ago. I finally have it in my hands and it is light as a feather. It is the most I have spent on a wheel and it is nerve wrecking floating it all over europe. It was recently recovered but I’m sending it to eastern europe once again for an OCD specific recover. I’ll post the after photos in a few months.

My Wheel:
4E592AA9-9773-4875-AD03-673564414B05.jpeg

OCD research:
C3B2E965-DF58-45C1-984C-F1FF8D6DAC6F.jpeg

The proper button (not mine but mine came with one). As a perspective on how geeky folks get about this stuff, this horn button goes for $200 - $300 depending on condition.
7A3F44AB-A074-4DE1-BDFC-8906B8536669.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Don't change a thing Philippe! I love the patina! I am restoring two of these at the moment, one is mine and one is for a forum friend. I just got the little chrome caps off last week. I'm sending those and the chrome horn base in for plating. The wheels are getting recovered. It's a fun hobby to do while I can't do much else. It's mostly just coordination...

BBOY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark, have you received my wheel yet? I have been thinking of putting this wheel for sale for a while but I can't find a match. It's 38cm and lay flat(I mean the spoke is flat). Any thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180316_205043_008.jpg
    20180316_205043_008.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 20180316_204923.jpg
    20180316_204923.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 20180316_204910_001.jpg
    20180316_204910_001.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 523

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Very cool wheel BBOY, it's the matching black anodized twin of mine! I picked this one up a few years ago, very cool wheel, pics below. Cheers, John

38cm Alpina MOMO front.JPEG
38cm Alpina MOMO back.JPEG
A7153A41-A20B-4FE1-9883-4E5EDF65D8C7.jpeg

Last edited:

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Pretty excited to share this one with you guys, and looking for a little info as well. I just landed this gorgeous, original, 38cm CSL Momo Alpina Wheel. Just an amazing looking and feeling wheel, it’s not perfect of course as with all 40+ year old wheels, but the size, grip, and leather are amazing. Everything about the wheel checks out, the design, grain of the leather and aluminum, the Alpina engraving, the stitching, the font on the Made In Italy, everything, with the experts I have shown it too so far. The only exception and weird thing is that ‘Momo’ is not stamped on it anywhere. Now, I have seen other Momo wheels without the Momo stamp on, and these were such a limited production item its not totally surprising. My best guess is that it’s a later one similar to the around the mid-‘70’a wheels that just have Made in Italy on the back. Anyway, there are so few pictures of CSL wheels available, and even less of the backside, I’m wondering is anyone else has more info? Either way I am still very excited to have this rarity! Thanks! John

78AF0458-9BAA-4061-9F90-EC7AAB4230F7.jpeg
C1DDA08D-5F40-427D-8089-997E6256A1CF.jpeg
1D064D55-C66F-4A93-A346-60789E93C392.jpeg
0C28136B-51C7-4834-8BB3-031317C429BD.jpeg
DFB1B9A8-FB51-4ED8-97BE-A0C3E78768F2.jpeg

Last edited: