shipping large pcs creatively?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This may relate to shipping e9 hoods, doors, etc...Doesn't work well to do the regular guys like fedex, ups, etc, except for freight carriers..I bought a hood and trunk lid from one of our members a few years ago, and he owned a shipping company, so it was outstanding. (Thanks WI e9 friend) But if you need a part, like I do, sent from someone who wants "local pickup only", that means "I'm not moving it, come and get it..." Here's what I mean..I have a pristine removeable hardtop for a Datsun roadster that is in metro NJ, and I need it in NC pronto. Its bulky. But its free. Yes FREE, but pickup only. I need a high school/college-ish kid, not yet in a summer job that can access a small/regular pickup truck to haul it to me for a fair price, or someone headed this way with a little room. Any great ideas? I think that even Greyhound is too much trouble for the gentleman...needs to be next week-ish, I think...thoughts? Thanks Dave V. in western NC

Haseeb

Reaction score
This may relate to shipping e9 hoods, doors, etc...Doesn't work well to do the regular guys like fedex, ups, etc, except for freight carriers..I bought a hood and trunk lid from one of our members a few years ago, and he owned a shipping company, so it was outstanding. (Thanks WI e9 friend) But if you need a part, like I do, sent from someone who wants "local pickup only", that means "I'm not moving it, come and get it..." Here's what I mean..I have a pristine removeable hardtop for a Datsun roadster that is in metro NJ, and I need it in NC pronto. Its bulky. But its free. Yes FREE, but pickup only. I need a high school/college-ish kid, not yet in a summer job that can access a small/regular pickup truck to haul it to me for a fair price, or someone headed this way with a little room. Any great ideas? I think that even Greyhound is too much trouble for the gentleman...needs to be next week-ish, I think...thoughts? Thanks Dave V. in western NC
How big is that hard top? I live in jersey and I drive down to DC for work sometimes, and I would have to borrow my dads truck but it *might* be possible for me

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not so big...tiny little car. About the size of a Miata. Bulky for one person, but not horrible. I'll get some dimensions in the morning. Top is in Rumson, NJ. Drop me a PM with phone and we can discuss if you wish; I'll do the same...Thanks very much,
Dave V. in NC

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can ship a hood via greyhound. It is just within the limits. Same with doors, trunk, etc. I have submitted bids to uship, then stayed in contact with the driver for subsequent runs. I have used Bob Beverly, who does a lot of work for Don. I have submitted bids to fastenal. The prices are pretty good but I went another route.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bob is a great guy; close to me actually, but its all about working with his geography/schedule. I'm in a pinch timewise. I don't thing that greyhound would work because of size and no box, several stops, etc. and they scare me a little (a few years back, I shipped an NOS 2002 roundie nose clip to a G'hound stop in WI, and by the time it got there, the stop had shut its doors, and they sent it on to the next "hub"...took a week and a half to get to destination.) Haseeb Shipping Enterprises might be great if it can work out...
Thanks for the input...
DV

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't thing that greyhound would work because of size and no box, several stops

Size: The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82" L x 47" W x 29" H.

You don’t need a box but you can easily build one out of plywood and 2x4’s. You can even have HD cut the plywood so you don’t have to run it though your table saw.

Honestly Fastenal is a pretty good option. It takes a day to get the quote back.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I built this box for an e9 door for $20 and shipped it via
Greyhound:

60FD8D2A-EC65-4BC8-ABE6-4F57836897A7.jpeg