Shifter console woes

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Anyone got this problem,
I have a 5 speed o/d box with reverse up and to the left, selecting reverse puts so much stress on the console that for the second time it has parted company from the vertical panels. I recently remade the verticals from plywood as the old original chipboard ones were so deteriorated that the would no longer hold the screws and thought the problem solved, but alas no, it’s fallen apart again.
I think the problem is that the gear lever needs to go so far to the left for reverse that the stress involved means it pulls the platform away from the verticals so I think that the hole/space is just not wide enough for the gear lever withe the 5 speed.
I think I will have to fabricate a whole new piece with a wider gate but still look factory.

Any thoughts gentlemen?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you should use an asymmetrical shift rod reversed and shimmed with washers.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You think the hole needs to be bigger.
I say make the shift action smaller.
A short shifter shimmed to the right keeps the shifter from hitting on the left.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And an e36 knuckle to keep the shifter centered.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Thanks Don, I already have a short shifter installed but not sure where I got it, possibly from La Jolla with the rest of the 5 speed parts although I’m not sure what the original part was sourced from. Of course it may be possible to shim up what I’ve got and would be simpler than trying to fabricate a new console that’s both functional and doesn’t look to odd.

By the way I fixed the transmission/ drivetrain shudder in first gear, gear box needed to sit slightly higher so I used the transmission mount from a 2002 with an extra coupe of shims and sent back the expensive engine mounts ( they wouldn’t have fit anyway,at least 15/20 mm to high, bonnet wouldn’t have closed) nice cheap fix.

John

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a spare metal reinforced shifter console that DQ built for me, covered in Spanish leather...
I will be in NZ in February and can get it closer to you...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
VSR used a Z3 shift platform as a short shifter on my car to resolve reverse & 5th throw hitting the console. Then they cut the selector above the ball and welded the top of the original threaded rod on so I could use the leather boot and my shift knob.

IMG_2915.JPG
Shift Boot.JPG

jmackro

Reaction score
Anyone got this problem?

No. Everyone has that problem. You have to modify the shifter assembly in some way when installing a 5-speed. Otherwise, you'll have the symptoms you describe.

I shortened and re-welded my e9 shift rod, reassembling it at a bit of an angle from stock. You need the top of the lever to move back and right. There are multiple ways to accomplish this, as the varied replies in this thread suggest.
sfdon said:
You think the hole needs to be bigger.
I say make the shift action smaller.

Right. I bigger hole will just look sloppy. A 5-speed dogleg pattern can be accommodated without modifying the console.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used a stock upper shift lever and an e21 lower lever. Kind of a mini short throw setup. No clearance issues at all. Does everything line up correctly?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it was Carl that came up with reversing the shift rod and shimming the shift bush. Sven gave the lead on the e36 knuckle. The e21 shifter has the short shift and the threads. I have my parts machined to .001” in bronze aluminum or silicon bushings for smooth shifting.
Oops- forgot one ...
CK now has the great tranny support.

mr bump

Reaction score
Anyone got this problem,
I have a 5 speed o/d box with reverse up and to the left, selecting reverse puts so much stress on the console that for the second time it has parted company from the vertical panels. I recently remade the verticals from plywood as the old original chipboard ones were so deteriorated that the would no longer hold the screws and thought the problem solved, but alas no, it’s fallen apart again.
I think the problem is that the gear lever needs to go so far to the left for reverse that the stress involved means it pulls the platform away from the verticals so I think that the hole/space is just not wide enough for the gear lever withe the 5 speed.
I think I will have to fabricate a whole new piece with a wider gate but still look factory.

Any thoughts gentlemen?
Just a quick one, have you removed the shifter at any time? Or previous owner removed it?