shift knob adaptor for 5spd conversions

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Fellow 5 speed converters

I would like to use my old screw-on shift knob, but have a newer push-on shifter with my 5 speed trans. Has anyone bought one of the converter/adaptors? A little extra length is not a problem, in fact, I could use an extra inch or so ;)

Or, if there is another option I'm not thinking of, please share.

thank you,
Matt

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you just had to go there ... the initial thought was to take the other approach. as in ... hmmm, not needed here ...

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Matt - I am wondering if you could have a machine shop thread the end of the shifter arm. It has a slot at the top but there may be enough material left on the sides to thread?

FjordTempo

Reaction score
still baffled by shift knob options - help

With my 5 speed conversion, I have a push on shifter fitment for shift knobs, but really want to use a period correct shift knob, most of which are threaded.

Those of you who have done the 5 speed conversion, are you using a newer push-on shift knob, or does someone make a converter that allows us to use a screw-on knob with a push-on shifter?

Thanks for any help you can give. I've searched the forum and must be missing something obvious.

thank you
Matt

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For my current 5 speed install project I am going to use the lower half of a 320i lever with the upper half of my stock 4 speed lever with threads. 320i also provides a slightly shorter throw.