The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you had it to do all over again, would you place it in the same place?
To my eye and understanding, this is the location that the mirrors were placed by the factory for European delivered cars. It is where I plan to place my mirrors. Not sure when or why, but there are one or two other European delivery details in my car even though it was a US market car (rear fog lamp, for example). I am going with it. :D

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it helps at all, this is how I installed my mirrors, works great for me.

Untitled.jpg

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks. that is helpful. from my view it looks like it may be blocked slightly by the front portion, but may be wrong. If you had it to do all over again, would you place it in the same place? PS: Gorgeous car and color
Yes I am very happy with their location, I would do again.
Thank you for the compliment

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
The owner must know someone at Greenwich! It had wind splits on the front and rear fenders, a rear spoiler from an late 70's 320i, wrong steering wheel, seats, wheels and was just plain wrong.
I do LOVE the wind splits though. Tempted....

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do NOT affix to rear fenders!!!
Scott, just watched your video with Poodle riding Shotgun. Looks like you need to repack your parachute. The kind the dragsters in the 50s used to slow down at the end of the quarter mile. So how fast were you going actually?
Steve

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, just watched your video with Poodle riding Shotgun. Looks like you need to repack your parachute. The kind the dragsters in the 50s used to slow down at the end of the quarter mile. So how fast were you going actually?
Steve
I don’t think I was going terribly fast. Not much over the speed limit for sure.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stan,
The Csl next to your car seems to have a ‘different’ looking spoiler on the trunk. Do you have another pic showing that spoiler?
Thanks

What infuriates me about this CSL is that it A) It appeared in Greenwich for 2 consecutive years, rules stipulate a car can only be shown every third year. B) It's not a good example of a CSL, it's very ratty looking in person and C) The rear wind splits are just stupid.

IMG_6789.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0358.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So Silly question:
When I started this process I told my insurance agent that the value would likely be approximately $45,000 and I would need to increase my coverage accordingly but I have spent close to that already on me restoration alone when you include all parts especially with the new wheels and tires etc.

What do you think I should insure? I am estimating you value my car for me in excess of $65,000. I was going to ask for $75,000 in coverage just to be safe in light of the increasing values.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So Silly question:
When I started this process I told my insurance agent that the value would likely be approximately $45,000 and I would need to increase my coverage accordingly but I have spent close to that already on me restoration alone when you include all parts especially with the new wheels and tires etc.

What do you think I should insure? I am estimating you value my car for me in excess of $65,000. I was going to ask for $75,000 in coverage just to be safe in light of the increasing values.

Yes $75,000 agreed value. But keep an eye on the "sold for" prices on comparable coupes as you may need to up the value

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems to me that "agreed" insurance values for classics is a complicated equation. Should the value be what it might cost to purchase a "similar" car? Or should the value be what it would cost a reputable shop to fix your car if the worst imaginable thing happened to it? I would imagine the cost to repair a major accident could quickly exceed the cost it might be to buy another car of similar condition, if done well. But that circumstance just seems too painful to think about. :(

Sorry - I don't have an answer. Just rambling.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently had a 'classic' insurance issue with my e31. It is insured by one of the Classic insurers that I've been doing business with for about 15 years. My wife was driving the e31 and the car was stationary near an intersection in the curb lane. A box truck started angling over toward the corner to turn left, and the left rear tire impacted her car just ahead of the right front wheel, significantly damaging the right front fender and tearing the front bumper off. Police indicated truck driver was fully responsible for the damage.

Took it to a very high end body shop, for estimate and repairs. Insurance company offered 75% of my stated value for repair (committed estimate was $1K higher than that figure). I complained since it was less than my insured value. They stated that if I wanted to consider the car totaled, they would pay me our agreed upon value and they would take the car and title, but their limit for repair of the car was 75% of the agreed value (minus my deductible). I decided to have it repaired and pursue both my $500 deductible and the other $500 from the truckers insurance. I've submitted my claim to them. I'm sure my insurance company will seek repayment for their outlay from the truckers insurance as well.

Explaining all this, as until a couple of weeks ago, I was unaware of the 75% max payment unless the car is totaled (in which case the car can always be bought back from the insurance company of course, but if repaired it will then have a salvage title).

The bottom line for me in this case is that I'm confident the car will be better when it gets back to me than it was 10 minutes before the 2 mile per hour collision, as this shop does fabulous work and all components will be new OE BMW parts - including the fasteners for those components.

Gary--

PS: The day I took this car in for repair was "BMW 8's day at that shop". They had an i8 come in shortly after my car for repair to the under-body. The owner had run over a pipe and it flipped up and damaged the carbon fiber monocoque. The BMW dealer said it wasn't repairable!!. Carbon fiber composite is of course like fiberglass composite and can be repaired - it just costs a lot more for materials and labor.

PPS: Follow on to the next post in this thread, part of the reason I posted all this was so others on this Forum who have agreed value Classic insurance might want to check the procedures for a high loss but not totaled car damage. If they wish to do that, they might post there info here for all to be aware.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Explaining all this, as until a couple of weeks ago, I was unaware of the 75% max payment unless the car is totaled (in which case the car can always be bought back from the insurance company of course, but if repaired it will then have a salvage title).

Gary, Without looking at policies and getting too deep into the weeds on this claim, you might consider talking to other insurers stating you are looking at moving your business and explain this situation as one you would like to avoid. You probably will get some sense of whether this is an "everybody does this" or this is unique to the policy and situation. Contacting some of the larger carriers may be of some use because some now have Classic lines, which surprised me. Of course, I've rarely seen consumer-line agents who really understand policies that are not their core products. A great deal of insurance is state-specific, so if you know a lawyer around you who works on PI or car accident cases (plaintiff or defense side), they can probably tell you how it works.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Carbon fiber composite is of course like fiberglass composite and can be repaired"
well yes and no. A shop can patch it with new carbon fiber cloth and epoxy resin. But I'll bet the original floor was autoclaved under vacuum as one monster layup. Most body shops lack the capability to do this on a part as large as a car floorpan.

Thanks for the tip about the 75% repair limit. I'll have to check my policies for this.

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
To my eye and understanding, this is the location that the mirrors were placed by the factory for European delivered cars. It is where I plan to place my mirrors. Not sure when or why, but there are one or two other European delivery details in my car even though it was a US market car (rear fog lamp, for example). I am going with it. :D

Is your rear fog lamp under the bumper, or next to the license plate? My US market car was delivered to Frankfurt and has the wire and bracket for an under the bumper fog light. The light itself has, apparently, had issues with no one taking it seriously and has left for greener pastures.

Status
Not open for further replies.