SCM on e9 2010 values

jmackro

Reaction score
I got my 2010 edition of Sports Car Market's "Pocket Price Guide" in the mail the other day, and immediately turned to the listings for e9 prices. Here's what SCM says:

2800 CS $8,200 - $12,300
3.0 CS $8,900 - $15,200
3.0 CSL $20,000 - $30,000

Interestingly, they say that e9 values are not changing, and indeed, these are the same price ranges that were given in the 2009 edition.

SCM is a little vague on where these numbers come from - in his introduction to the Price Guide, Martin thanks a group of experts who submitted valuations. So, I guess this is just the concensus of few of Keith Martin's buddies, and not hard auction data.

OK, look, I'm just reporting these numbers - I'm not defending them. I know that Keith Martin, SCM's editor, is the guy that everyone lovest to hate. Personally, his values seem kind of light to me too.

(p.s. - does anyone know how the "remove text formatting" button works on this board? I would provide a more detailed chart, but the auto formatter keeps trying to "help" me)

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
SCM values

In my research in looking for a coupe, I paid a fee on his site to review the auction data, and most of the cars changed hands in the 20s.
There were us spec cars, one even with big bumpers included. That big bumper car sold for about 25K, which for me is steep.
I didn't save the data, but there were only a few cars in his database, I do know that.
I recall reading in his indexes a few years ago that CS coupes were in the category of "just used cars" as far as collectibility. However, now he rates them as actual collectibles with appreciation potential.
I just bought a solid coupe myself and paid in the 20s, so I hope I am not the only sucker out there. I bought it to drive and enjoy, not as an investment.
Scott

66toaster

Reaction score
SCM values

I am a subscriber to SCM & of course saw the $15k. I thought it was off for a top example of these cars. I am in a specialty part of the agricultural commodity business & there are market reports people consult for pricing. I remember many years ago my father was trying to buy a truckload of material from a supplier. He offered a price & the guy said, "but Henry, the sheet says it's worth X." So, in a nice way my father recommended to have the sheet buy his truckload. In short, any price guide is just that...a guide. I do think with some cars SCM rates, they seem realistic. One has to do their due diligence. He rated a low end Sunbeam Tiger about 20% more than what I reported for my nice driver for insurance.

chicane

Reaction score
It's funny how the guys who actually research classic sports car prices for a living are called into question but some random guy who shows up on this site with a coupe to sell has his car's value accepted without question. Now out of those two parties which one do you think has a conflict and which one is closer to reality?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bottom line is that there isn't very much data at all in his auction database on CS coupes. Furthermore, it is odd that his auction review shows several non-CSL cars in the 20s, including the green 74 US 3.0cs that sold for about 25K last year in I beliveve Hilton Head, SC, yet he tops them out in the teens in the price guide. There seems to be a disconnect between what his (albeit scant) auction data shows, and the figures in his price guides.
Also, his auction data has the CSL for 150K, but it again is not reflected in his price guide.
Scott

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I met Keith Martin at the 'Sunriver Festival of Cars' in 2008, he was the MC for the event. He knows cars but he seems to be the most familiar with Corvettes, Alfas, and Porsches. I don't think our cars are on his radar.

The festival was a great event and had a Parade of Supercars and Judges Favorites. Here's Keith interviewing me and my family during the Judges Parade-at least he described it correctly.

http://www.sunriverfestivalofcars.com/2008/gallery08.html

Attachments

• DSC_0733.jpg
    DSC_0733.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 76

cookbw

Reaction score
Seriously!? CSL's topping out at $30K. That's ridiculous to me. That seems like the going rate for a nice CSi. Was there no entry for a CSi?

chicane

Reaction score
The bottom line is that there isn't very much data at all in his auction database on CS coupes.

There is plenty of data it's just in Europe not the states.

Furthermore, it is odd that his auction review shows several non-CSL cars in the 20s, including the green 74 US 3.0cs that sold for about 25K last year in I beliveve Hilton Head, SC, yet he tops them out in the teens in the price guide. There seems to be a disconnect between what his (albeit scant) auction data shows, and the figures in his price guides.
Also, his auction data has the CSL for 150K, but it again is not reflected in his price guide.
Scott

Obviously he is showing AVERAGES...

Seriously!? CSL's topping out at $30K. That's ridiculous to me. That seems like the going rate for a nice CSi. Was there no entry for a CSi?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36057#post36057

jmackro

Reaction score
Obviously he is showing AVERAGES...

Actually, I'm not sure what the heck he's showing. Although Martin is in the auction reporting business, my reading of his introduction to the Price Guide indicates that the data comes from a group of "experts" - NOT from averaged auction results.