Safety warning: how a seemingly innocent piece of metal can seriously disrupt your life.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wanted to write this in the hope of keeping someone else from having to go through what I’ve had to go through in the last month.

As I had mentioned in the Tips for Weekend Warrior Restorers thread, on March 18 I was trying to finish a long day of work on the coupe and slipped off a small ladder while getting out of the engine bay and my leg got thrown against a part of the front suspension. It got lacerated either by the lug bolts or the brake disk dust shield. (Wheel was off)

Blood rushed out, so my wife took me to the Emergency room. There they cleaned it and put 14 stitches to close it up.

The policy in hospitals these days is to clean as well as possible but not use antibiotics automatically because they have been overprescribed and too many resistances are developing.

Problem with this “cross your fingers” approach is that it doesn’t always work. Four days later I started developing some redness around the wound indicating an infection. So I went to the doc and they gave me some mild antibiotics. Three days later it was getting worse. So another doc gave me some stronger ones. A week later it wasn’t getting any better so they switched again.

The doc then told me that wounds on the lower legs are actually very difficult to heal because they are far from the heart and therefore blood flow is not as good.

Ten days ago they decided I needed to switch to shots of meds instead of oral ones. This is a powerful antibiotic that is shot in the hip muscle. It is very painful and makes it difficult to walk for 24 hours. But I was getting them every day, alternating sides, so no chance to recover. It makes everything hard including sleep because you can’t turn on your side. I had to start missing days of work because my leg had to be elevated as much as possible.

In all I saw 5 doctors and was on 6 different antibiotics for a month. Finally last night my temperature started to rise. This is a warning sign when you are on these meds so I had to go to the ER. This morning I find myself in a hospital bed with an IV to try and fight this. I’ll be here for at least 2 or 3 days.

All of that to say that, when you are tired and pissed off because everything on a car restoration takes longer than you thought and you’re trying to finish as much as possible, you tend to loose your normal sense of alertness and you are less careful then you should be. And at that point it doesn’t take much for small things to go wrong and then mushroom into something much bigger that can derail the whole project.

This can get even way worse as reported by bfeng in the above thread. So let us all remember that car restoration will always take longer than you think and as soon as you get tired, alarm bells should start to go off and say “Time to either call it a day or to get extra alert because everything is becoming progressively more dangerous.”

When working around things than are much harder and sharper than your body, stay on full alert at all times, friends! A few days delay is soooo much better than more than a month of pain and, adding insult to injury, the accompanying medical bills that are coming with it.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of this continuing misfortune. I’m impressed that you are staying on top of this and being an engaged patient and taking an active role in your treatment.

Best wishes that they’ve finally got it under control and for a speedy recovery.
John

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know this well. I,as is so common now, got a Staph infection after back surgery and after having a second surgery to clean out my lower back, I was on antibiotic IV for over 50 days in the hospital and another 24 days in the nursing home. I stopped taking antibiotics orally Dec. 31st. My surgery was August 4th. You have to be very careful with infection. Not everyone takes the redness seriously. How you recover 100%.
Take it slow.
Koopman

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We all appreciate, or should, your thoughtful passing-along of sage advice. My wife is in week 7 of knee replacement rehab, and as you suggest, we are paying more attention to everything. Moving slowly and with a little fore-thought. Take care and best wishes to you on a full recovery.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow... scary stuff, indeed. Hope you are over the hump and on the road to recovery!

Ed Z

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to read this Bo, but it is so like you to want to warn and alert others that danger is just around the corner. I admit, it is easy to press on, when you have some pre-determined point that you want to get to each day, when tackling a car project. I have just got my Healey back on the road after 6 months of a "refresh". There were times I felt I had not accomplished enough, but have come to learn that any step forward is an accomplishment, and yes, be very careful of fatigue and frustration. You have gone through too much pain and suffering, and I hope things turn around and you heal quickly now. Thanks for the reminder. Best of luck. Mike

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you all for all the good wishes!

I need to add one more thing I learned: one thing the doc made very clear: “At least be glad you had your tetanus shot updated last year. That is real serious stuff. Tetanus from a wound like this can lead to death”. Yikes!

So if you’re going to be anywhere near metal bits, especially those that have seen rust, make sure your last tetanus shot was done less than 10 years ago.

PS: And, obviously, get as good a medical insurance as you can lay your hands on!

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hope you get well soon, Bo!

So if you’re going to be anywhere near metal bits, especially those that have seen rust, make sure your last tetanus shot was done less than 10 years ago.

Over here they now recommend you to take the tetanus shot every 5 years if you consider yourself to be at greater risk than average to get it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My thoughts are with you Bo, wish you a prompt recovery

My guess is that your infection was produced in the same hospital, one of the most harmful places to be in this life, but sometimes you can not avoid going there

As to the tetanus, here they are very serious about it, if you had a certain number of shots before you are not allowed to have more, (they have the whole record since you were a kid), at the end it will be same as anibiotics delicate issues everybody wants to be protected, ...that tends to overprotection

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, man, sorry to read of your accident and ensuing infection. Hope the meds work and the infection gets kicked to the curb and this all becomes a distant memory.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,

SO SORRY to hear of the mishap, and the medical complications associated with the injury. Hopefully, the IV's will get the antibiotic to the lower leg promptly, and you'll soon be recovering. THANKS for posting this as a warning to all of us. I'm sure most of us are alike in that we try to finish up that last 'bit' of work promptly, so we DO hurry a little and take less precautions than we should. Your post will hopefully save several of us from a similar incident.

Cheers, and recover soon.

Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Bo ... godspeed on the recovery ... i know you will be back stronger and better. the downside is that it might take a little bit of time.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just finished reading Memiors of a Hack Mechanic. Amoung lots of useful information and interesting BMW related anicdotes, Rob Siegel includes lots of sage advice and tips around how to be safe and secure when working in, around and under cars.

This book is a fun holiday read btw.

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wounds on legs are always difficult. If the problems persist, they need to image the leg and be sure there is not a pocket of pus (abcess) trapped in there. If there is, it needs to be drained. Hopefully they will get some imaging studies on your leg and maybe a surgical consult.
Don't be afraid to be a pushy patient (but nicely). The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Have your family bring the staff coffee and donuts too. If you have a friend or family member in the medical field have them be there. Find out when the doctor may come by to round on you, and have them be there when the doctor comes.