Rusted Front Headrest Removal

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
one question i have always had was - could you cut off the headrest and drive the rusted shaft through?

Good question. Great timing also. I watched a western last night and that is exactly how Shirley MacLaine removed an arrow from Clint Eastwood’s shoulder. :D

421A483F-32DD-4507-8C5D-CFB345CD377B.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the headrest, I would try holding a piece of flat stock to the chrome posts. Hit the other side of the flat stock with an air chisel. That gives you hundreds of hammer hits in a minute versus a handful. The vibrations could free the post from the retainer.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bottom line here I guess is soaking and waiting. This was a 2 week process. Amazing that the post itself was really almost rust free.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the headrest, I would try holding a piece of flat stock to the chrome posts. Hit the other side of the flat stock with an air chisel. That gives you hundreds of hammer hits in a minute versus a handful. The vibrations could free the post from the retainer.
Markos' idea about an 'air hammer' combined with my rube goldburg contraption (pictured) with a couple days of PB Blaster worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 108

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, i would think that you might have needed to do a pair of straps on both sides ... tighten up one, then tighten up the other side ... going back and forth.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, i would think that you might have needed to do a pair of straps on both sides ... tighten up one, then tighten up the other side ... going back and forth.
Scott,
The other side was completely free so it wasn't needed in this situation.
I probably had 200 pounds plus force pulling on the headrest without any movement.
BMW certainly didn't want any chance of the headrest rattling.
Dan

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's what I did: I took the headrest upholstery completely apart, leaving the exosed frame. Cut the frame in half, turn each shaft to free them up. You'll be surprised how easily they free up once you get this far. Weld the frame together, clean everything, re-assemble the uphostery. All the whacking with rubber mallets, PB Blaster, etc. in the world won't do anything until you can get your hands on the shafts separately.