rubber seal - B post trim

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys,

i'm looking for the rubber seal that goes between the B pillar coverplate and the rear quarter panel. its hard to identify from realoem - 51/14 - #10 ... i presume that seal #9 is what i need, i just would like to know for sure. my body guy wants to replace these pieces of rubber as they will probably turn to powder when he removes them.

diag_f2c.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay guys, anybody have any of these seals - part # 51716754295? getbmwparts says discontinued, after having been on order for 2 weeks ... ecs tuning says they will get more on 23 june. w+n doesn't list them in their current on-line catalog
if not, does anybody have one that is broken and can trace the profile shape? so that i can try to find something similar.

appreciate any help so i can get my coupe out of the paint shop

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
painting the lower rocker panel:
070120111686.jpg

070120111687.jpg

080120111690.jpg

renew, polish and new rubber glued to aluminium trim parts:

120120111714.jpg

120120111715.jpg

after assembling the rubber profiles, impact glue is applied on the rear side of the parts, to secure position
120120111717.jpg

120120111718.jpg
[

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hopefully somebody can take a picture of the end piece of the gasket - with a ruler next to it - please. i will find something that will work and post it here for others in need. the ones on my coupe turned to powder when being removed.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
hopefully somebody can take a picture of the end piece of the gasket - with a ruler next to it - please. i will find something that will work and post it here for others in need. the ones on my coupe turned to powder when being removed.

Scott, I've been searching for these a couple of months ago, couldn't find new ones anywhere.. My solution was to find good used ones, but I'm sure you could try and find some brand new universal rubber too.
Hope someone else can provide a picture of the end since I'm not close to home right now.

Cheers,

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
deQ, they are wonderful descriptive pictures (as always) about the process ... it shows me a few good things about the seal ... but not enough to pick a stock profile out of a catalog that could work. i really need a pic of the end profile with a dimension on the longest side.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went by the garage on my way home, not perfect pictures but I hope they are of some help.

IMG_9646.JPG IMG_9648.JPG IMG_9656.JPG IMG_9657.JPG IMG_9658.JPG

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a bummer. I was about to jump on the b'wagon too!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep, i tried that a few days ago. rogerstii is always a place of last resort for something that has recently disappeared.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i just tried to order the horizontal pieces for under the door and they are on "backorder"

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i just tried to order the horizontal pieces for under the door and they are on "backorder"

Take a look at the eBay.de listing# 152570410092. I think you mean those? If you decide to buy them, pm me for sending them to you.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i got word from a friend who works at a local BMW dealer that the rubber trim that i am looking for will be available on 6 august. there are 16 already on backorder.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey guys ... it does not look like 6 august is going to make it on this seal (around the aluminum rear door jamb trim) - 51716754295. i have been communicating with Lisa Disaia at BMW of Warwick about this. there are now 30 sets on back order. if you are in need of this seal, or will be in need ... i recommend that you email Lisa and get on the list ... the more back orders, the faster BMW will get these made.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
That rubber appears to be extruded rather than molded. If it is extruded there are a fair amount of "rubber" companies that can make them at a more than reasonable price. The major expense is having the die made. IIRC the die is sort of a formed wire the rubber is pulled through. Years ago I did this to replace some NLA seals for E24s. The cost was, again IIRC, about $400 for the die. The rubber itself was a few $$ a foot. I had this done by some old guy in El Segundo, I can't remember the name of the company, that I found in the services section of Hemmings. Another place to look is Steele Rubber products in Minneapolis. They have a great catalogue of molded and extruded seals and by the foot rubber shapes.. They may even agree to make them.