Roundel question - trivia

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
The front and back roundels were originally raised letters - correct? When did BMW move to the smooth surface roundels?

Were the C pillar roundels ever raised letter?

Thanks.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
The front and back roundels were originally raised letters - correct? When did BMW move to the smooth surface roundels?

Were the C pillar roundels ever raised letter?

Thanks.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
gkb said:
The front and back roundels were originally raised letters - correct? When did BMW move to the smooth surface roundels? Were the C pillar roundels ever raised letter? Thanks.

The first few 2800's had cloisonne roundels on hood and trunk as well as c-pillars. Most 2800's and all later coupes had the tin hood and trunk emblems ("raised letter")

All 2800's had cloisonne c-pillar emblems. Most if not all of the carbureted coupes sold in the States had cloisonne c-pillar emblems.

I don't know when the c-pillar emblems went to tin, and had always thought they were the only ones available through BMW.

Also as I recall the roundels were plastic by the time E21s and E28s were being built ('76-'77?) and at that time the raised tin hood and trunk emblems were superceded by the plastic ones.

More well-versed folks will have more to add.

Hope this helps,

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
gkb said:
The front and back roundels were originally raised letters - correct? When did BMW move to the smooth surface roundels? Were the C pillar roundels ever raised letter? Thanks.

The first few 2800's had cloisonne roundels on hood and trunk as well as c-pillars. Most 2800's and all later coupes had the tin hood and trunk emblems ("raised letter")

All 2800's had cloisonne c-pillar emblems. Most if not all of the carbureted coupes sold in the States had cloisonne c-pillar emblems.

I don't know when the c-pillar emblems went to tin, and had always thought they were the only ones available through BMW.

Also as I recall the roundels were plastic by the time E21s and E28s were being built ('76-'77?) and at that time the raised tin hood and trunk emblems were superceded by the plastic ones.

More well-versed folks will have more to add.

Hope this helps,

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
If one bought replacement "C" pillar emblems in the 80s, you got "raised letter" "tin".

In the past few years, BMW has had the cloisonne emblems made again, but they are extremely fragile. If they don't arrive broken, I have heard of them breaking while on the car.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
If one bought replacement "C" pillar emblems in the 80s, you got "raised letter" "tin".

In the past few years, BMW has had the cloisonne emblems made again, but they are extremely fragile. If they don't arrive broken, I have heard of them breaking while on the car.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill is right - to my dismay one of mine 'broke' the other day - the black coloured part came off in one place - they may have been on overly tight. They have been on the car for 9 years now but it is always garaged and has done very few miles.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill is right - to my dismay one of mine 'broke' the other day - the black coloured part came off in one place - they may have been on overly tight. They have been on the car for 9 years now but it is always garaged and has done very few miles.

hplug

Reaction score
roundels

From what I have experienced BMW has made several versions of both front and rear roundels. The originals were raised letter and two pieces a base and the roundel. BMW then made the smooth front and rear plastic one piece roundels. Later BMW made a one piece front raised letter with an intergrated base which was close to the originals. There are some two piece raised letter front and rear available although BMW manufactured not available from them directly.
The c pillars have been remade and are extremely fragile and the blue in the roundel is almost a little purple.

hplug

Reaction score
roundels

From what I have experienced BMW has made several versions of both front and rear roundels. The originals were raised letter and two pieces a base and the roundel. BMW then made the smooth front and rear plastic one piece roundels. Later BMW made a one piece front raised letter with an intergrated base which was close to the originals. There are some two piece raised letter front and rear available although BMW manufactured not available from them directly.
The c pillars have been remade and are extremely fragile and the blue in the roundel is almost a little purple.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Yeah, the C-pillar pieces are very, very easily broken. They seem to be a fairly brittle tin or aluminum cast part. I bet a competent machine shop could whip up a billet or welded piece in two shakes. The hard part would be getting the paint right.

My older C-pillar badges have raised letters and roundels, same for the trunk and hood. All the badges have raised everything. Even those badges are pretty fragile, however. I am not sure if the parts are original, but they seem to date back to at least the last time the car was restored, which was in 1984, in Germany. The job (which was actually done at a BMW dealership) gave a pretty exhaustive list of parts used, and I don't remember seeing new emblems on the list. So, they may be original.

I bet Murray would know.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Yeah, the C-pillar pieces are very, very easily broken. They seem to be a fairly brittle tin or aluminum cast part. I bet a competent machine shop could whip up a billet or welded piece in two shakes. The hard part would be getting the paint right.

My older C-pillar badges have raised letters and roundels, same for the trunk and hood. All the badges have raised everything. Even those badges are pretty fragile, however. I am not sure if the parts are original, but they seem to date back to at least the last time the car was restored, which was in 1984, in Germany. The job (which was actually done at a BMW dealership) gave a pretty exhaustive list of parts used, and I don't remember seeing new emblems on the list. So, they may be original.

I bet Murray would know.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Roundel trivia

As DP indicates--all 2000 CS's and US spec 2800 CS's through 1971 had cloissone "C" pillar roundels--they seemed to disappear and the raised metal painted ones arrived to save $ somewhere around the early to mid 1972 model year for US spec cars--along with replacement of the chrome plated brass trim with the anodized aluminum part betwen the tail-lights for the same cost saving reasons.

Original two piece raised letter roundels remained available for several years--while on shelf supplies lasted--along with the original seals that were made of a pliable plastic like material that went under the roundels--though haven't seen one of those in years--as I recall the small supply of raised letter F/R roundels over-lapped the throw-away plastic roundels that became available in the late 1970's--until the early 1980's

All of the preceeding is based on the best of my recollection

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Roundel trivia

As DP indicates--all 2000 CS's and US spec 2800 CS's through 1971 had cloissone "C" pillar roundels--they seemed to disappear and the raised metal painted ones arrived to save $ somewhere around the early to mid 1972 model year for US spec cars--along with replacement of the chrome plated brass trim with the anodized aluminum part betwen the tail-lights for the same cost saving reasons.

Original two piece raised letter roundels remained available for several years--while on shelf supplies lasted--along with the original seals that were made of a pliable plastic like material that went under the roundels--though haven't seen one of those in years--as I recall the small supply of raised letter F/R roundels over-lapped the throw-away plastic roundels that became available in the late 1970's--until the early 1980's

All of the preceeding is based on the best of my recollection