RHD CSL Stripes

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread guys, I'm reading with interest as I'm just coming to the end of a RHD Polaris CSL "major" rebuild. It had black stripes when I bought it but I'm drawn to the tri colours! Does anyone know where to buy a good set? Reading Yannicks note I like the sound of the original colours of orange, blue and purple rather than the modern colours. All help gratefully received.
Good evening Coalboy Coupeguy (https:coupeguy.com) sells tri-colour stripes for $675 for 8 (including 2 on the front spoiler). The stripes appear to be the red/purple/blue ones, and not the orange version described by Yannick.
I am not sure whether the orange stripes were an option on CSLs. Were they were used on earlier competition models? Perhaps Yannick can clarify.
I have the same booklet as Mal (above) and the stripes in that booklet are distinctly red. The booklet is dated 2/74. The paragraph highlighted by Mal reads -‘A further external feature of the BMW 3.0 CSL is a narrow stripe at the level of the waistline, colour matched to the basic paintwork in black, dark blue or dark green. With the colours Polaris (silver metallic) or Chamonix (white) the BMW 3.0 CSL can be supplied as a special version at no extra cost with a three-coloured stripe.’
I therefore agree with Mal’s interpretation that tri-colour stripes were an option on standard CSLs. I have never seen a Batmobile without tri-colour stripes and therefore there would be no point in making them an option. Those of us based in UK find imports from USA expensive, as we pay VAT of 20% on the combined value of the item AND the shipping cost. There is also an element of import duty and a handling fee of £10 or thereabouts levied by the carrier.
If anyone can identify good quality tri-colour stripes for less within Europe I am also interested!!! Good luck, Coalboy. Marco54
This guy makes them contact him
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-3-0CSi-3-0CSL-2800CS-Decals-Side-Stripes-Zierstreifen/331752221075?

coalboy

Reaction score
Yep, he can't help. If I had some pictures and dimensions my local guy says he could replicate them. Anyone out there with Tri colours and a tape measure? Height of stripes and lettering position/size??? If it works I'd be happy to get extras done....