RHD CSL coming up at auction

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
RHD CSL's

IMHO, RHD CSL's are worth a lot less than LHD due to the much smaller pool of buyers. Under $20k USD seems about right as this one is likely to need everything if the doors are any indication of the overall condition.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried but

Turns out the car was already sold. Seller told me when I told him I was buying a ticket to fly out and buy it from him in three days.

Too bad.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Boot and bonnet

I think the sheet metal diff between the city pack and non-CP cars is somewhat over-rated.
Easy enough to remove things like electric windows, power steering metal bumpers, rear glass, big stock battery (i useclight weight Gel bats) and get a lighter weight result than the mon-city pac series two CSLs. Also get rid or the damn lid mounted tool kit and you save weight and wear on the fragile trunk lid structure.

Imho, this all adds up to a bigger savings than the alloy door skins and hinges.

waynesie

Reaction score
I met the seller of the CSL in Colorado at a BMWCCA event in the spring of 2012. He had done a great job bring the car back from the condition it started in as he described. I was surprised to see he was selling it.

this is the car
http://www.e9-driven.com/RegistryView.asp?RID=2981

Attachments

• 082012 002web.jpg
    082012 002web.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 123

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
All rhd csls I have seen have had all aluminium panels. Some also had manual windows.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the RHD CSL's I've seen

were city pack cars with chrome steel bumpers and steel door skins. They only had alloy boot and bonnets. Some had manual front windows and electric rears. I'm sure non-city pack CSL's exist in RHD, I've simply not had the good fortune to have seen them.

What say you, resident CSL experts?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
No such thing as non city pack rhd csl. They all seem to have had ally panels. Some early ones had manual windows. Early cars often had a standard cs steering wheel.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Rhd csl

Referring to the original BMW CSL sales brochure (English version) from 1972:

"Doors, bonnet and boot lid are made of aluminium"

"In G.B. the BMW 3.0 CSL is available with various special equipment. Details may be seen in the supplementary Leaflet"

From the UK RHD CSL supplementary Leaflet (early version):

"The RHD City Package was specially selected for our G. B customers and includes the following equipment:

- El heated rear window
- Racing steering wheel
- Special "Scheel" - adjustable racing seats
- "Boge" shock absorbers
- Stainless steel bumpers
- Special black undercoating
- Interior light
- Special sound proofing
- Special floor carpeting
- Luggage compartment mat
- Michelin tyres 195-70 VR XWX radial
- Power steering
- Tinted glass
- El operated rear side windows
- Tool kit in the boot lid
- Internal locking bonnet catch

The only change in the later version of the RHD leaflet was that the power steering was non longer free of charge.

I don't think there exists any RHD from factory without the GB city pack. However, there were several RHD CSLs with special orders from factory, including leather seats and sunroof etc.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited: