RHD 3.0 CSi "Barn Find" on eBay

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread about this car but I can't find it. So apologies if it's been posted before.

Not mine, not affiliated.

Also up on Car and Classic website...

So at least we know how much they want for it!

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
The prices just don’t seem to make sense. i have seen some higher then expected and others the opposite. Some seem to gain better prices if a bit rough, when they are good the focus goes on small details of imperfection. I guess it is just that so few are bought and sold and we don’t really know their condition or actual transaction price.
i watching this one for interest.

dj_efk

Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see whether it gets relisted for sure.

If not then the market for RHD CSI restoration projects has spoken.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
indeed. What’s your opinion on the cost of restoring this one. Best and worse case.

That's like asking how long a piece of string is. Assuming there's minimal structural rust, motor runs and car is straight and you want a tidy daily driver:
My very basic guess based on restoring my CS and my barn find CSL is you could get the car on the road and looking good for $25-30k AUD.
I base this on:
Body work; 18k
Motor, drive train, electrics; 4k
Misc; 3k

But this could blow out wildly if you want to re-chrome bumpers, replace tyres, glass etc;

dj_efk

Reaction score
Impossible to say! Looks like a good basis for restoration in terms of everything being there and the interior in particular looking good. You have to assume it will want completely stripping and many hours of welding - I would say a professional would want paying 125% of the purchase price again in labour to do it all - Then budget another 5k in parts?! So I think you're looking at minimum GBP 50k total (20k purchase + 30k restoration), if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I was playing devils advocate :) My own estimates came up with a minimum figure of £30K GBP. Gives a good idea of the market value.

Rek

Reaction score
If it got that price then it is a leap of faith by the buyer. The cost will depend on who does the work. If the owner writes cheques to suppliers then maybe the amounts listed above or more. If he can do all or some of the work himself then nowhere near that - unless there is rust under the surface. At least it might see someone occupied during these winter months.

day66

Reaction score
Agreed - if the buyer has the skills and its a DIY project, then £10k would go along way, if not then that won't scratch the surface.