Restored '72 2002tii on BaT - No sale @ $75,500

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
A six-year nut and bolt restoration that is very nice and I'm sure was very expensive didn't meet its reserve.

1972_bmw_2002tii_15391107737f52ae3fMAR-4878-2.jpg

Lots of photos, maybe some inspiration there, but there was also a link posted in the comments for a very interesting project. It's a modern car that has styling from the 2002. Very custom, and I'm sure very expensive, but would give you a bespoke motoring experience. I'm not sure how much of the donor car is retained but there's an interesting video on the site.

Behold the ETA 02 Cabrio.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.32.04 PM.png

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a tease, no engine info. Wonder what it is based on? 2 Series?? I think the back of the car looks too British when it gets right down to it. Cortina ish.

scottd

Reaction score
Ok I'll be the negative one... While that 02 is really nice, expecting more than 75k is ambitious. The other car is awful IMHO. The interior sure looks bloated and odd with the exterior. I'm sure I'll get blasted.

Scott

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm with the thinking that a very expensive restoration and subsequent sale should be of a nut and bolt, down to the hose clamp type quality on a bone stock original car. Just my taste.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
isn't that 02 on the border of drivers car versus investment ? so a totally other public.... imho.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the front, but agree that the rear end falls apart; does not bear any resemblance to a BMW let alone the 2002 other than round tail lights. I applaud the effort though. I wish BMW would produce modern takes on their classic designs like Dodge did with its Challenger and Fiat did with the Spider.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
First thing I thought of when I saw "ETA" was a mid-eighties M20 engine.