Restomod 3.0cs sale in california

BimmerBud

Reaction score
Anyone know what the Nacht Blau '74 3.0CS Resto-mod sold for at the Russo & Steele auction in Monterey, California this past weekend?

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Restomod 3.0cs sale in california Reload this Page

Alpina Restomod....sold for $68.5K. Offered at no reserve, the estimated price was $65 to $85K.

Russo & Steele was down the street from RM Auctions and I stopped in to see it. I had read many online accounts online that were somewhat disparaging about the restoration decisions.

Apparently, the owner didn't see fit to change anything and someone was smitten. Despite the aesthetic choices, it looked like a solid car.

More evidence, in my view, of the upswing of e9 enthusiasm and interest. You may have to provide an email address to see this link:

http://www.russoandsteele.com/past-collector-car/1974-BMW-3-0-CS/55392

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Russo and Steele website said:
This ground-up, no-expense-spared resto-mod BMW was built for a Japanese owner, with $35,000 for paint alone. The rare Alpina-numbered 3.5 liter E34 motor was scratch-built by the Alpina factory and mated to an E28 four-speed automatic. Alpina features include suspension and front-brake kits, SS headers and exhaust, front and rear camber kits, and 17-inch wheels. Power mirrors, a CSL front spoiler, an engine-start button, power locks, and Cream leather Recaro front seats round out the stellar package.

Why oh why would you spend all that money, and put in a slushbox?

jbrucebmw

Reaction score
I looked at this car and it looked like a really nice restoration with a few years of use on it. I did not find any rust and the paint quality looked really nice. Yes its not everyone's aesthetic choices but I would rather do a 5spd swap and change some details on a solid car like this than get a lower quality restoration that is more original. For context, I looked at the black / tan restomod CS at Canepa for $70k last year and the paint and body work on this car were in a different league-- much, much nicer.