replacing spare tire well

willybali

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone tackled spare tire well removal- interested in any photos for spot welds- just received WN part- will begin next week pictures to follow

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a while back i remember reading a thread that mentioned replacing the e9 spare tire well with the e24 well ... allowing you to put a deeper spare in the well - such as a spare 14" x 7" Alpina or a 16" Alpina or BBS RS.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
a while back i remember reading a thread that mentioned replacing the e9 spare tire well with the e24 well ... allowing you to put a deeper spare in the well - such as a spare 14" x 7" Alpina or a 16" Alpina or BBS RS.
That is a really good point. Couple years ago, I had my pinhole tire well replaced with the W&N one. Shop did a great job. And I put the original spare back in there. Later, as I was about to embark on a long day trip, I realized I should have a spare that matches the 4 road wheels/tires. Continental 205/65-15. To get one to fit in the newly replaced well, I had to "finesse" some of the wood edge around the under side of the panel that sits over the wheel. But it fits. And looks original. If anyone has any larger wheel/tire combo, I would think the above suggestion of a deeper e24 component is the go-to mod that will never be seen. Good luck!