Replacement carpet

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Adding to the list of satisfied KHM customers. Wasn't aware of the discount for forum members when I ordered about 2 1/2 years ago (black/grey), but still felt it was a good value and excellent reproduction of the carpet I remembered having in my '73 e9 back in the 70's.

Gary

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use Esty if you are going for close to original though.

Ah, I didn't know that..I guess I haven't been in the position of needing a perfect factory match. My old 1600 was trashed when I got it, so I never knew what the original looked like. Is it her materials or her methods? Just so I know what I'm looking at...:) Always learning!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think her sewing skills are first rate but she uses easier to find colors and materials. I would use her for an 02 if it was squareweave as those colors are readily available.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
It’s definately a question to pose to them prior to committing. They’ve been making E9 carpets for ‘decades’ so I’d presume yes.
And if I’ve got it right, it’s just the two front floor mats that will differ. I’d well imagine KHM has that pattern too, but I’m only guessing. The template is basically flipping the front floor mats around.....easy enough.
Cheers
Keshav

Hi again Keshav

As promised I approached KHM for a black/ grey speckled carpet set. They are sending me a sample, which I expect will be a close match to the original.
If well known members such as yourself, Chris and Gary (above) are satisfied then I'm sure I will be too.

I confirm, as you expected, that KHM do make these sets for right-hand drive cars.

I have also asked if they offer a discount to our members.
I await a reply but I will confirm their response as soon as I receive it.

Cheers and thanks again for your help and advice.

Marco54

Reactions: JDH

pat cooks

Reaction score
I also need a set for my RHD city pack CSil, black seats so am I correct in assuming grey/black carpet?

I am in Essex Uk so we could do a double order? might help with getting a discount!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
Thanks for your kind words...... KHM is no secret having sold umteen sets, not only to the E9 group but to most Oldtimer cars and clubs.
I certainly hope they will offer their club discount which they do to the German E9 Group. That would be great news for this/ our group too.
I’m more than convinced you’ll be thrilled at the color, quality and fit. No doubt you’ll share your experience with us.

best regards
Keshav

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I also need a set for my RHD city pack CSil, black seats so am I correct in assuming grey/black carpet?

I am in Essex Uk so we could do a double order? might help with getting a discount!

Hi Pat

Thank you for your superquick reply! That sounds like a plan.

You are right about the grey/ black carpet - on the KHM website it is 427 charcoal two-tone loop carpet. I am awaiting a sample to compare it with the original mats that I have.
I'll let you know what its like when it arrives.

Cheers, Pat.

Marco54

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
also need a set for my RHD city pack CSil, black seats so am I correct in assuming grey/black carpet?

I am in Essex Uk so we could do a double order? might help with getting a discount

Seems you both need exactly the same set. Getting them together would certainly save the individual shipping costs and might help the group in the discount option.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
Thanks for your kind words...... KHM is no secret having sold umteen sets, not only to the E9 group but to most Oldtimer cars and clubs.
I certainly hope they will offer their club discount which they do to the German E9 Group. That would be great news for this/ our group too.
I’m more than convinced you’ll be thrilled at the color, quality and fit. No doubt you’ll share your experience with us.

best regards
Keshav

Hi again Keshav

You are welcome - I have seen that you freely offer your expertise to the Forum.
Your advice is greatly appreciated by those of us with with less experience. Thank you.

As promised I will report back when I hear further from KHM.

Best wishes.

Marco54

pat cooks

Reaction score
I am also looking to buy cloth for my scheel seats and headlining material in black so if any other members need some we could also get together?

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just had the following message from KHM -

"Club discounts are possible for batch orders. Please understand, that single orders actually cannot be discounted. (Our price list is still from 2016)."

I will follow up to see what constitutes a 'batch order'.

Last edited:

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Latest reply from KHM -

"Generally special club prices are possible during the winter season. This will start November 1st and end February 28th.
In this period we make a special calculation for the German E9 club but only under condition of long delivery times (around 4 – 6 weeks)
so that we can collect orders and process in batch.

If you are interested we can contact you as soon as special prices are calculated."

I have asked to be kept informed and I will report further when I hear again.
With typical German efficiency the sample arrived today. I will try to photograph it together with the original for comparison and post here again.

My initial view is that the carpet is similar in weight to the original but it is not identical.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I attach a photo of the KHM carpet sample (their reference 427) and a smaller sample from Jaymic both on an original BMW carpet.

IMG_4946.JPG

To my eye the Jaymic sample looks closer to the original, as the paler threads are more evident. The Jaymic pattern also looks more 'random' like the original whereas the KHM version looks to be woven in straighter lines.

I am no carpet expert but I did notice that the undersides of the two modern carpets look similar to each other with straight weave but the original looks to woven along 'S-shaped' lines. I'll stop before I go any further, as I really don't know what I'm talking about but I am trying to describe what I see. For the sake of completeness I attach a photo of the reverse sides of the three.

IMG_4948.JPG

I am interested to know what others think.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
You can’t really compare a 40+ year old carpet to a new one, not only the manufacturing methods but the fact that the weave will change shape and direction after all the usage.
Jaymic is surely good too, probably depends on which deal is better. I’m bias, I’d go for the KHM having heard their quality and fit is excellent. My car has the lightweight Csl carpet so I can’t speak from personal experience.

Their logic with winter months discount makes sense, that’s when most cars are in ‘bed’ or being restored....

Cheers
Keshav
Ps. I wonder where the UK guys have been getting their carpet sets over the years? Maybe some one can chime in about the Jaymic quality......

Last edited:

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Marco,
You can’t really compare a 40+ year old carpet to a new one, not only the manufacturing methods but the fact that the weave will change shape and direction after all the usage.
Jaymic is surely good too, probably depends on which deal is better. I’m bias, I’d go for the KHM having heard their quality and fit is excellent. My car has the lightweight Csl carpet so I can’t speak from personal experience.

Their logic with winter months discount makes sense, that’s when most cars are in ‘bed’ or being restored....

Cheers
Keshav
Ps. I wonder where the UK guys have been getting their carpet sets over the years? Maybe some one can chime in about the Jaymic quality......

Good morning Keshav

Good point - if anyone has experience of a Jaymic carpet set it would be interesting to hear their views.

I agree that a comparison with a 40 year old carpet is difficult but the two colours in the Jaymic sample are more pronounced than in the KHM sample, and more like the original.
My original is very dusty from storage and a better comparison would be with a clean old carpet. I'll see what I can do!!!

pat cooks

Reaction score
I will dig out my original carpet and clean up the best part, to me the two new samples look very similar, could even be different batches from the same supplier, I think I would be quite happy with the KHM but will reserve judgment until I see a clean sample of original... I think the original had a rubber coating to the back,

pat cooks

Reaction score
I have looked at my original carpets and there are some areas that have never seen the sun or dirt, I can post Mark a sample for comparison, I am not sure about the drivers heel pad on one set I looked at,
I saw black CSL headliner kit on the coupeguy site, has anyone compared to original?