The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

changing the paint color will also mean - pull the engine and everything along with it ... paint the engine bay and put it all back in. this is at least a 2000 buck add, probably more with extra material + paint labor cost ... not to mention the cost of getting the grease out of the engine bay. i know this from personal experience as i have just made this commitment. then there is the while-you-are-there costs ... lets replace the clutch so we don't have to do it later. lets replace the firewall insulation, engine mounts / subframe bushings, etc., etc.

i should have left mine black.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Black is pretty easy to keep clean with the right products to repel dust and pollen. I like Zymöl products and Griot's Best of Show Detail spray.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

changing the paint color will also mean - pull the engine and everything along with it ... paint the engine bay and put it all back in. this is at least a 2000 buck add, probably more with extra material + paint labor cost ... not to mention the cost of getting the grease out of the engine bay. i know this from personal experience as i have just made this commitment. then there is the while-you-are-there costs ... lets replace the clutch so we don't have to do it later. lets replace the firewall insulation, engine mounts / subframe bushings, etc., etc.

i should have left mine black.
thanks.
makes sense
will leave it black then.
sorry for the added distraction.
i am slightly concerned about them keeping the may 15 date, if they still have not yet painted.
doesn't it need several weeks to cure?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
ok, ok, ok, I get it.... Too late to change colors... I will be fine with black. I have had several black cars in my life, and love them when clean, but when looking at the mustang (i think that is what is in benny's shop, seeing how much dirt is shows when clean, I am thinking how much time I will be obsessing about it, but such is life and it will give me something to do.

Let's start a bet, over/under date for when I will be on the road. Benny "promises" me May 15, or in about 3.5 weeks from now.

How long does the paint need to cure?

I don't want to rush him, but do want to hit the road.

What date do you think I will be on the road?

Dohn

Reaction score
What date do you think I will be on the road?[/QUOTE]

Glad you're staying with black; I don't want to be the only buying detailer by the gallon... As for the schedule, just like a home remodeling, it will take exactly one month longer than your patience...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Silly question: is there a particular paint code for bmw black or can I assume Benny will know the correct black that is bmw period correct?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bennyz paint supply shop should have the mixing code for the correct BMW 085 Schwarz paint.

Gary
Ok
So there are different blacks. I assume then that he was looking this up on his own then if I hadn't sent it to him.
My biggest remaining concerns are:
  • Getting done on time, but willing to push if needed of course.
  • Getting the wood done on time/budget and dealing with the black vinyl covering, which we haven't yet contracted. There is a local person, but have not confirmed if they can/will do this. I assume it's not a big deal though, right?
  • How they plan to handle the trunk painting without elephant skin. Benny had some ideas he has yet to share with me.
  • Getting all the chrome/metal trim shined up to look awesome
  • attaching the the bumpers properly
  • reinforcing the rear shock towers properly
  • tuning the carbs, etc. once all done.
  • ensuring the belt trim is not installed until paint cures. I have seen comments here to wait 6 week to install, but we have only 3 weeks from today about until done, and painting hasn't yet started
  • ensuring that i have ordered all necessary parts, etc. I have ordered whatever i have been told, but expect that they will need something they haven't thought of.
  • breaking down on my California road trip I am planning when it is all done.
  • the first scratch likely to happen, which will be painful.
  • whether to start with or without front bumper. Inclined to start with it.
  • Getting interior sorted next winter
  • will they remember to squirt all the rust prevention stuff in properly.
  • what am i missing?
I'm a nervous kind of guy.

Thanks again to all of you for holding my hand in this simple paint job process. I really appreciate it.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ensuring the belt trim is not installed until paint cures. I have seen comments here to wait 6 week to install, but we have only 3 weeks from today about until done, and painting hasn't yet started

Scott,

You have to consider the risk if you rush this.
Is it worth it to get the car on the road a couple of weeks earlier, and possibly have the paintjob ruined until you choose to repaint the car again?
What’s a couple of weeks extra in the long run, the dissapointment would be huge if it turns out the paint wasn’t cured enough.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

You have to consider the risk if you rush this.
Is it worth it to get the car on the road a couple of weeks earlier, and possibly have the paintjob ruined until you choose to repaint the car again?
What’s a couple of weeks extra in the long run, the dissapointment would be huge if it turns out the paint wasn’t cured enough.

I agree

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just did some Internet research on how long paint takes to cure and it seems like it depends on the manufacture and it is not the paint needs to cure so much as the clearcoat. I will rely on Benny for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.