removing air flow baffles

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I'd like to paint assembly and it looks like baffles should come out.They appear to be held in by plastic "clips" at the ends where the shaft comes thru the metal frame.I've tried prying them but altho there is some movement they don't come off.Am I on the right track?Do you have to pinch them and pry?Thanks.

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's been a while since I took mine apart but I believe there a plastic sleeve at each end of the adjustable air grill which is a press fit. When removed the grill can removed from the rear.

Once removed the grill can be carefully disassembled by removing the tension wire along the back if you so desire.

Kurt

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Paul, this is definitely not a fast and easy task, takes quite a bit of time and patience. It helps a lot if the vent assembly is out, make things a whole lot easier. Basically, the only tool needed to release the clips is a thin sharp pointed metal pick. You only need to release one clip and the whole vent piece should pop right out, it's held together with friction only. Insert pick between one of the vent pins and the clip and pry it outwards, pry from both side of pivot pin with a lot of gentle persuasion. Do not pry elsewhere other than the inside or parts of the plastic clip may break, rendering them useless. Use extreme care in prying out and not damaging the plastic clip as they are no longer available. Hope this helps.

These are the disassembled parts
2e18c1a1552e28aced79f3dd9c8c2d8f.jpg

The two exact plastic clips-top clip faces out outwards
39c0efe597a7a4e12c1603028f5ea319.jpg

Insert pick between vent grill piece and holding clip---pry from both side of pivot pin
a2da8b984bfdec029aa0a5ab238a11c2.jpg

The clip is almost out, keep on prying outwards
8db645ba9d7cef8b2007a5271794298b.jpg

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments Glenn! Just glad to help out fellow coupesters any way I can.

Bert

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
I question merit of painting this part

IMO a bad idea--dis-assembling this part to paint is a really questionable action--if original they will clean up as new if not painted. Using a biodegradable cleaning solution with small brushes, paper towels and Q-tips is better as there won't be any need for painting such smooth plastic with the added question of whether you would get good adhesion for a durable finish--original is best.

If painted just find another set of grills from a parted out car and just clean it

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Now eating crow--the paint is not for the plastic parts!!

Sorry as I was understanding your plan was to paint the plastic vent grills.