Removing a dogleg from a 635?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
My friend in Upstate NY has a 635 which he is breaking, well it is breaking itself from rust. Any advice on getting the trans off? It currently sits on a car transporter trailer which has 2 sections for the wheels and nothing between, it won’t roll.
Is it best to split it at the bell housing to engine or trans to bell housing?
Any suggestions to stop the engine rocking when I disconnect the trans mount? If I put large blocks of wood to reach the ground the trailer will never move again.
Is th connection for the gear linkage control straight forward enough?
Sorry for the basic questions but my time with the car will be limited and I don’t know my way around my friends tools.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
It's been my practice to split the tranny from the bellhousing. Once that is done you will have much better access to the bell housing bolts.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Mike and Marcos.
The car is being scrapped and the trans going back to the UK. Diff is tbc and I have no idea about the engine condition, will need a rebuild for sure.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I got the engine and trans out, here is how. This may be very basic for some of you but I learnt a few things to share.
To remove the dogleg from an early 635, so in many ways similar to an E9.
I detached the front subframe from the car and lifted the car up with a lift truck, then vey simply detached the transmission from the engine at the bell housing. Then lifted the engine off the subframe.
To do this I:
Cut or undid the cooling system hoses, power steering hoses and the loom as far back as I could get.
I cut the clutch cylinder pipe as it would not undo.
Removed the throttle linkage at the bulkhead.
I removed the 4 large subframe bolts, they we pretty tight so a socket, breaker bar and piece of pipe were needed.
I gave up trying to detach the transmission in place as I had limited tools and could not fit them into the starter motor, it turns out that I did not need to remove the starter motor as the bolts did not go through to the trans. The trans had separate bolts on their side.
Sounds simple, it was not so hard but was made more difficult due to using someone else’s tools and the car being on a trailer.
Will post pictures later.
Hope that this helps someone in the future.

When i got the engine out I was surprised to see no oil leaks at all, the front subframe had surface rust but otherwise seemed ok.
Diff and rear subframe are still in the car but most bolts removed so a 5 minute job!!
If you want any parts, shout. They are in Upstate New York, Ithaca. I am back in the UK but can put you in touch with the owner.
Regards

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pictures of the 635 car and trans.

Attachments

• 20190614_140900.jpg
    20190614_140900.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190614_124916.jpg
    20190614_124916.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 237

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Must have been quite difficult to get the transmission out from a car in NY while being in the UK!