Rear window switch direction is different from the front

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Somehow during the reassembly of my wiring, the rear window switches now operate opposite from the fronts. In other words when I press the switch towards the back of the car the rear windows go up while same operation on the front switch makes front windows go down.
Since my car is a 74, the wires are attached to a female receptacle into which the switches hook up. I did not remove any of the wires from the receptacle in the center console so I have a feeling that is not where the problem is. However the switch in the rear armrest did get disconnected from their receptacle on the left side. So I wonder if reconnecting them incorrectly created this issue. Does anyone know which two wires need to be swapped to reverse the direction up or down?
The wiring diagram is difficult to follow bc the pole numbers on it are different than on the actual switches.

Thank you

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I obviously thought about that as well. That would have been the easiest solution. However because these old wires have stiffened over the years and since they are attached to a receptacle, turning this receptacle 180° is actually harder than one would think. This is made even harder by the fact that there is not much room around the gear shift lever there. I have got to think that there is a simple two wire switcheroo that can be done. Because I am pretty sure that they operated normally before.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. But I have not touched the motors which is why I suspect that it is at the rear switch level that two wires got swapped.