Rear window motor upgrade too?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All kinds of write-ups about upgrading the front window motors with the E28 motors. Done!

My RR window does just not want to work.
I've had it apart about 3 times now checking everything.
I've tried a total of 3 motors and 2 gearboxes, all of which have been cleaned and re-greased where necessary.
I can move it with my hand when the gear box is removed but when motor and gearbox are in place it runs about .5 mph.
I thought it was binding some about mid way and have worked on that but it doesn't bind at all at each end.
Driving me crazy.
Is there a motor upgrade for the rear windows?
E28 motor? Has someone tried this?
Help would be appreciated.
Gary

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sorry Gary , a bit of topic …. but are the rear units ( motor/gearbox) the same as in the front ? i asked it once over here but there was no reply.... as you have tried several units... maybe you know ?
and now i suspect "not" as otherwise we can do the same conversion to E28 motors... i suppose ?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
sorry Gary , a bit of topic …. but are the rear units ( motor/gearbox) the same as in the front ? i asked it once over here but there was no reply.... as you have tried several units... maybe you know ?
and now i suspect "not" as otherwise we can do the same conversion to E28 motors... i suppose ?
Yes, the motors and gearbox are the same and since I had two extra motors and gearboxes from the front window upgrade I basically had 4 sets to try.
Something is bent or out of alignment but certainly not easy to correct.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,

Confirming above, I replaced both front and rear e9 window motors on my '74 with rear door motors from an e28 a couple of years ago - reduced both up and down time by about 70%. Truly plug and play for the later model cars.

Takes two motors from both Rt rear and Left rear e28 doors to do all four. Only one motor from each rear door to do just the rears or just the fronts, of course.

Gary-

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just got my rears sorted out today using E28 regs, a little bit of cutting but a pretty simple install. I've got a 1970 and it's looking like a wiring change. E28 motors have two wires, while the sardine cans have three, reviewed the diagram and I believe adding a ground wire to each switch fixes it, not tested yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_113908772.jpg
    IMG_20181216_113908772.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 150

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just got my rears sorted out today using E28 regs, a little bit of cutting but a pretty simple install. I've got a 1970 and it's looking like a wiring change. E28 motors have two wires, while the sardine cans have three, reviewed the diagram and I believe adding a ground wire to each switch fixes it, not tested yet.
So Thomas, did you take out the springs? I saw that mentioned on the forum before but have not done that. Actually if I did that maybe the window would work. May try that tomorrow.
Thanks

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Careful with that eBay listing. In comments it says (fronts). All 4 have 10 tooth gears which don't work with e9.
Previous threads suggest (rear) E28 regs ONLY for all e9 windows. Hope this makes sense

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Careful with that eBay listing. In comments it says (fronts). All 4 have 10 tooth gears which don't work with e9.
Previous threads suggest (rear) E28 regs ONLY for all e9 windows. Hope this makes sense

The seller is Ivo Christov who is well known in the E28 community. Easy enough to contact him to get the correct rear E28 motors.
https://www.e28.nl/en/

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The seller is Ivo Christov who is well known in the E28 community. Easy enough to contact him to get the correct rear E28 motors.
https://www.e28.nl/en/
I did not intend to insult anyone, sorry if that was the case. Just a heads up for buyers that could have bought them expecting it to work on thier rides. The rear E28 regs are the best option imho.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did not intend to insult anyone, sorry if that was the case. Just a heads up for buyers that could have bought them expecting it to work on thier rides. The rear E28 regs are the best option imho.

No offense taken nor did you insult anyone. My post was meant to add to yours in regards to sourcing the motors.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have been supplying these motors for the past year or so. If anyone needs them please contact me.
Thanks