Rear strut Brace

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I did a search and see a few have the Top End Performance brace fitted. Just wondered how it mounts to the struts - is it tapped in to them or is it a nut and bolt? If the latter surely the shock needs to be removed to fit???

Seems that people are split on the benefit of them?

Regards,

Rohan

Honolulu

Reaction score
well...

I haven't zoomed in close to any pics of those installs, but I'd have to imaging from a fabrication and installation standpoint, simplest way is to drop it on over the studs, then send down a nut and washer, snug it all up nice and tight.

But why do you ask, if you aren't fabricating one yourself? I would.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Main value is to mount the battery in the trunk. Questionable as to whether there is any stiffening as a result.

TEP supplies a pair of nut/bolts for each side and yes you drill the shock tower to install. Remember to treat the holes for rust.

I believe you have to drop the shock enough to move it to the side enough to get your hand and wrench in but you shouldn't have to remove it.

You could also weld it in (I wouldn't).

Doug

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personal opinion is that they would help only marginally. The weight of vehicle is supported by springs that are loaded by suspension to a lower body point. Strut towers only see load when shocks are intermittently loaded. Braces help only in that instant. If E9 had rear coilovers, this would be a much different story.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess I will leave it be - main attraction was the battery relocation but I dont want to drill holes/weld etc.

Do people here reinforce the rear strut tops when they get a chance as many coupes I have seen have had them burst through?

Honolulu

Reaction score
from what I've seen

IMHO you gotta want bling to get into rear tower reinforcement, and battery relocation.

I dunno how many coupes all the rest of us have seen, but I have never seen one with a rear strut brace.

I think a rear brace might be a sign that either (1) the owner digs bling or (2) maybe the car is weak (structural issue?) and needs it.

Still, had a a little stick welder, I'd have made one long ago and relocated my battery. But that's just me.