Rear bumper renewal and rust protection overkill

Tierfreund

Reaction score
My rear bumper had a dent (I was too SLOW for once...and someone in a hurry bumped into me) and quite a bit of rust. So I got my self some new parts (middle and side parts as well as a set of bolts (W&N - good choice as the originals all but one tore off when I undid the old bumper)).
And then I set about never having to worry about rust ever again. I want that bumper to outlast the car. Or me.

the old crusty one...

new parts. Then first creeping oil into the crevace. Then Chassis paint (with creeping oil component) into crevace and full paint of backside. Then protective fat into the crevace and the whole backside. I only reused the rubber strip (after full and carefull cleaning)

next time: use gloves!

sad but true: this kitchen has prepared more car parts than hot meals...

m_thompson

Reaction score
I can only do projects like that in the house when my wife is not home.

The dishwasher really cleans aluminum parts nicely if you add a little TSP. Don't tell her I said that...

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
That should outlast the car :grin:

Does anyone know what paint or oil product easily available in the US they would use for a similar treatment? I'm about to install the newly chromed bumpers on mine and now would be the time do do something like this.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint conditioner in the US is Penetrol and it's available at Home Depot in gallon and quarts. Commonly used for rust protection also. I use it as a body cavity spray.

That should outlast the car :grin:

Does anyone know what paint or oil product easily available in the US they would use for a similar treatment? I'm about to install the newly chromed bumpers on mine and now would be the time do do something like this.