Raven gets a new nest

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I should've gotten an algea resistant car cover...

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_134906720.jpg
    IMG_20190223_134906720.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 184

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, am I right to notice you are using 2x4s at 16" on centers for your framing? Out of curiosity, why not doing 2x6s at 24" on center? I would think it would be faster, therefore cheaper and offer more room for insulation.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, am I right to notice you are using 2x4s at 16" on centers for your framing? Out of curiosity, why not doing 2x6s at 24" on center? I would think it would be faster, therefore cheaper and offer more room for insulation.
You are correct on all accounts. This garage project has been a series of compromises from the start. The initial "design" was an uninsulated, unheated or cooled structure. That's really all we thought we could afford. I went to bid with two builders - and asked for 2x6 studs. The builder that I trust far more actually came in lower - and/but included 2x4 studs. The building climate here is on fire - and builders are frequently walking away from projects for just about any reason. So I have been treading very lightly regarding changes. That said, I added continuous insulation which provides the most benefit as it insulated the studs at the exterior. That was the change I chose to push on the builder. The overall assembly results in about an effective R-14 overall. You are correct that we could have done a little better with 2x6s at 24" centers. Not sure if we would have saved dollars on the build with this builder - but maybe.

Interesting that the most significant heat loss occurs at the top (ceiling/roof). Which is to say, we find that wall U/R values are a bit less critical than roof U/R values. We are doing R-38 insulation on the "ceiling", and I will be creating a unique but extremely effective continuous insulation at the heel/top plate which is where a simple structure like this loses most of its heat. And I can always add more insulation up there if we don't see the performance we think we should be getting.

If I had even a tiny bit more budget freedom on this build, I would most certainly do some things differently. But given our tight constraints, combined with a very twitchy construction industry right now - I am just thrilled that we're building anything at all. In fact, we have some "real" projects at the office that we can't fins a builder to do. We (and our clients) have been turned down by about a dozen builders because the projects are too complex, or too detailed, or too ???. This is the world we're living in right now. The limited trades are picking and choosing the easiest projects where they can make the most money without learning anything new. At least that is what we are seeing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the world we're living in right now. The limited trades are picking and choosing the easiest projects where they can make the most money without learning anything new. At least that is what we are seeing.

That is really sad. Milwaukee is filled with stunning old homes that need craftsmen to maintain them and/or match the charm. I guess I am preaching to the choir on a classic car forum talking about the beauty and craftsmanship of old homes (and buildings). :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The limited trades are picking and choosing the easiest projects where they can make the most money without learning anything new.
In our language, that's like a shop wanting to do brake jobs instead of engine rebuilds. :)

It would be interesting to see your design for insulation the hip/wall cap area..

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The building climate here is on fire - and builders are frequently walking away from projects for just about any reason.
Interesting to read this. Is there a specific reason for that?
We have the exact same problem here in Northern California. But at least there is a reason. The devastating fires of the last few years have created a huge demand for contractors. Our roof was damaged during severe storms this past winter. We've tried to get it redone for the last four months with no luck at all. The rainy season will start again soon and we still have several leaks.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have the exact same problem here in Northern California. But at least there is a reason. The devastating fires of the last few years have created a huge demand for contractors. Our roof was damaged during severe storms this past winter. We've tried to get it redone for the last four months with no luck at all. The rainy season will start again soon and we still have several leaks.

Seems like it is pervasive. Same thing in Seattle. I believe that it is due to the exceptionally strong economy that our current administration has cultivated. :p

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems like it is pervasive. Same thing in Seattle. I believe that it is due to the exceptionally strong economy that our current administration has cultivated. :p
I'll add the disappearing Apprentice. Then add the siren call of the Screen. And our dispose of any product rather than repair it mentality. Look at the construction crews, the landscaping crews in your neighborhood. See any blond white guys or girls?

But there is the rare exception. We had to have our small pond cleaned(if it had been bigger it could have been dredged). It has a liner, and I scoop leaves constantly every autumn. But for a couple of seasons I let them build up. So we hired "Across the Pond" a high end pond design and build company run, of course by a Brit.
He sent two of his crew, two young women. They drained the pond, filled bucket after heavy bucket with muck, carried them out of the pond and disposed of them, hosed and brushed the liner, patched a couple of holes. In one long, exhausting day.

I have not seen anyone, anyone, work that hard in decades.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's what we hear as the reason(s) or cause for this. It's a trifecta. First, back in 2008 when the recession hit, many good and skilled craftspeople left the industry. That was an abrupt and significant change. The second reason we hear is that very few sons and daughters are entering the trades. This leaves a low supply / high demand relationship with the remaining trades in the field. And finally, the market is good right now - further taxing the limited collection of skilled artisans that are available for new and current projects.
I believe that it is due to the exceptionally strong economy that our current administration has cultivated.
I'm assuming this is a joke, but I will mention that the industry peaked during the previous administration. It has leveled off recently (at least from what we've seen), and Id suggest is actually dipping a bit.

The collection of pressures is resulting in trades charging more than they used to for work that is generally not executed as well as it used to be. Paying more for less - not a great situation. Again, I feel lucky to get the garage built at all.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's what we hear as the reason(s) or cause for this. It's a trifecta. First, back in 2008 when the recession hit, many good and skilled craftspeople left the industry. That was an abrupt and significant change. The second reason we hear is that very few sons and daughters are entering the trades. This leaves a low supply / high demand relationship with the remaining trades in the field. And finally, the market is good right now - further taxing the limited collection of skilled artisans that are available for new and current projects.

I'm assuming this is a joke, but I will mention that the industry peaked during the previous administration. It has leveled off recently (at least from what we've seen), and Id suggest is actually dipping a bit.

The collection of pressures is resulting in trades charging more than they used to for work that is generally not executed as well as it used to be. Paying more for less - not a great situation. Again, I feel lucky to get the garage built at all.
Happy for you Stephen, plus I admire your restraint. ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Progress continues on the garage. Although, it doesn't seem as quick in the middle of the project. The concrete crew is coming back today to prep for the interior slab. This work will include leveling and compacting the base, and setting 2" foam and reinforcing for the interior slab. We're also adding a concrete filled bollard at the outside corner to try to keep cars, trucks, and trailers from hitting the corner of the garage. Yes - it has happened before...

Here's some photos of the entry roof in progress. I just noticed that they forgot to tape off the seam in the insulated sheathing before installing this roof plane. The grief never ends...
20191023-entry roof.jpg
20191023-bead board.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can also see the fascia work is nearly complete on the main roof, and the half-round gutters are installed (albeit a little wonky). I'll need to get up there and tweak their position a bit... The half-rounds were an indulgence on my part. They are terribly more expensive than standard "K" gutters - which I can' stand. I'd put the half-rounds on the house and wanted to carry that detail through on the garage. I just learned that the custom colored, prefinished siding will not be delivered until November 5. The things I choose to upgrade...
20191023-kitchen view.jpg

In fact, the whole garage project is horribly over budget already. :oops: My own fault, as I keep adding scope. But I think we're settling down now (finally?).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that looks really cool. definitely will set your garage apart from any of the neighbors. love the scale of the brackets