Rally drivers secret !

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm curious about the difference in lock-to-lock ratio. Is it much different? Is this just for "feel" or does it actually change the ratio? If the geometry is the same, or the steering linkage in basically the same place as OEM, it seems like it would be like having a long pitman arm with a bunch of holes to adjust where the "arch" would be for steering. Farther out for more movement, closer for less. In this case it looks like a longer arm with the linkage in the stock location.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sure it makes a difference @dang .... steering effort becomes also much more .
Also the "play" in those steering boxes becomes less annoying ...

going sideways and countersteering was almost not possible with the OEM ratio ! or you must have monkey arms. :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
when i'm in the garage i will measure lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel on the red ( changed) and blue ( oem ) car.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
the changed version give not full 3 turns steering wheel. About 2 and 3/4
The OEM i can't check as the car is on supports without rear axle.... so i don't want to disturb that :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Corvairs have long had aftermarket shortened steering arms to tighten up the steering. It works, but also screws up the geometry when you are at the steering extremes (such as making a U Turn). You can also buy a quick ratio steering box, which from what I understand is the preferred method. (on a Corvair)
have you noticed any Bump Steer with this modification?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
No Bump Steer Bob.... the 3 steering rods ( middle and 2 sides) stay in exact the same position as OEM.... you just push them with a longer pitman arm from behind instead of the shorter OEM in front .
That's why it only works with a elongation of 70 mm , as the ball joints are 35 mm.
More or less than 70 mm would change the steering geometry .