Questions about Wood Dash

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The wood that runs from driver to passenger side with the speaker grille on our 75 CSi Barn Find is ONE piece. The wood I just looked at here at e9 was two piece. Are they interchangeable> Is one type rarer than the other.

And, my upholsterer gave me a long rectangular cardboard box with what looks like original oak vaneer. It is curled like a the ends when you sharpen a pencil but are 6 inches wide and at least two feet long. Unfinished.

Is there a market for these pieces? There are no parts numbers, stamps, etc.

Steve

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
mystery parts

Hi Steve,
Every e9 dash that I've ever seen has a small piece of curved wood to the left of the gauge cluster, a convex curved piece of wood that surrounds the gauges, and a long piece that runs from the gauge cluster to the passenger side (just below the A pillar). The separate speaker cover fits into this long piece, obviously. If you have one that runs from pillar to pillar (?), I dont know it. Early 2000c?

Pictures would be great help for both questions...Not sure what you mean about the oak piece; E9 dash wood are plywood or bent plywood with various (Italian and French) walnut veneered faces. Same with the "door" wood pieces. Only other wood on the car was probably the boards/ small blocks that make up the trunk panels. Dave V. in NC

jmackro

Reaction score
The wood I just looked at here at e9 was two piece. Are they interchangeable> Is one type rarer than the other.

Steve:

While this probably makes perfect sense to you, I have no idea what you are talking about. Two suggestions:

- Why don't post some pictures of what you have, what you expect it to look like, etc.

- Go to the website of Madera Concepts ( http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/VehiclePages/bmw_vehicles.html ) which has some good images of BMW CS wood that might serve as a reference.

Dave V. in NC has provided as good a verbal explanation as I can imagine - beyond that, you will need to deal in pictures.