question about removing outside trim

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
for both upper and lower trim, is there a trick to removing? I don't want to just start shoving pry-tools in and bending up the trim if there's a special way to pull it.

pictures would help too

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Upper trim is on held on by studs and tiny nuts with a captive washer. Look in trunk after pealing back the vinyl or reach up under front fenders.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Removing the beltline trim is very simple. As Chris says, it's not held on by snap clips like one finds on a 2002, but are held on by nuts and captive rubber washers from the inside of the body panels. The rear fender pieces are the easiest to access and give you a good example of what you are looking for. You shouldn't have to pry on any of the belt line trim to remove it.

A511357801155510303-Rubber-nut-for-trim-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-20.jpg

Ed

jmackro

Reaction score
for both upper and lower trim, is there a trick to removing?

Not totally clear what you mean by "upper and lower trim". Prior responses have guessed that one of these = "belt line trim"; are they on the right track? And if so, is that what you call the "upper" or the "lower"? What other trim do you need to remove?

As you say, pictures would help.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I too could use some aid in removing the rocker trim, if anyone can elaborate lease do or I'll post some pictures on how to do it correctly after I destroy mine.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not totally clear what you mean by "upper and lower trim". Prior responses have guessed that one of these = "belt line trim"; are they on the right track? And if so, is that what you call the "upper" or the "lower"? What other trim do you need to remove?
rocker trim.

or I'll post some pictures on how to do it correctly after I destroy mine.
I am all too familiar with that process.

pat cooks

Reaction score
I think the sill (rocker) trim is held on with plastic clips but maybe with nuts each end, I think you can remove the outer sill cover complete with the trim and then check from behind what clips yours has, someone may have used incorrect clips in the past, Pat

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe Pat is right on. I sprayed WD-40 all along the rocker trim after the nuts were removed, used a pry tool and TLC. Good chance the nuts are rusted and there is paint bubbling around the hole that the trim stud goes through. Classic ...on my E3 and both my E24's.