Question about '74 seatbelt replacement from bluedevil

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I need my seatbelts refreshened. Based on the recommendations from many here, I got in touch with Al (Bluedevil). All good so far, but unfortunately the time required for him to refurbish my current set does not work for me. However, he mentioned he can make me a new set using new German parts. But, "The problem is the new retractors may not fit the original mounting area since it was designed with Autoflug retractors. --- I have some small profile retractors but no guarantee they will fit in 74 coupe."

Has anyone used his "new retractors" set on a '74 and do they fit in the existing locations?

Thank you.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Al rebuilt my '74 seat belts with new fabric. The OE retractors worked fine, so he installed the belts on them. Very pleased with the appearance and "hopefully" performance of the work. But, I'm hopeful that I'll never have to really test it!

Gary

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought BlueDevil used autoflug parts...
Answer from Al: "FYI, Autoflug has been out of business 20-25 years ago (for car seat belts) since they were bought by Autoliv. There are no new Autoflug parts. [...] I only use highest quality parts, 100000 times better than your old Autoflug parts."

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The modern retractor I installed in my old jag 4 years ago would fit where the stock retractor sits in my 1974. The only challenge might be the required belt length since the retractor is so far back.