Power steering filter

gwittman

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed a new power steering belt in my 2800CS. While checking the Owner's Manual to see what kind of fluid I should use to top off the power steering reservoir, I found a note stating the power steering filter should be replaced (or maybe it said cleaned)every 40,000 miles. Has anyone ever done this or had it done? I didn't even know it had one.

tochi

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed a new power steering belt in my 2800CS. While checking the Owner's Manual to see what kind of fluid I should use to top off the power steering reservoir, I found a note stating the power steering filter should be replaced (or maybe it said cleaned)every 40,000 miles. Has anyone ever done this or had it done? I didn't even know it had one.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5330

pmansson

Reaction score
Filter for power steering fluid

It is held in place at the bottom of teh canister by a lid, which has a hole in which the centrally placed rod runs. Then a spring held in place by a visible clip (on the rod).
Undo the clip (or force it up with a pair of pliers), take out the spring and lid, and pick up the filter with a (clean) screwdriver.
Available new at the usual places.

(I should attend a course in explanation..... Easy and obvious once you´ve done it).
I asked the same question some time ago!!

gwittman

Reaction score
The main reason I asked is I wanted to know if I was the only one that was not aware of it. Thanks for the information on how to replace it and where to obtain one. I have a complete BMW repair manual and I am sure it has detailed information on how to replace it. I just had not gotten around to searching for it.

I think with the information here and the information in the repair manual, it should be very easy to replace it. Especially since Mesa Performance is practically across the street from me.

Maybe I am the only one who was not aware of the existence of that filter. Shame on me, it has not been replaced in over 30 years.