Looks intriguing. I feel like I have seen this one before (not in person):

CA910D48-4C2C-45B5-A43B-40EABEDCC3C1.jpeg
49757C34-1AB0-4544-9D66-C753632E9F23.jpeg
F05CEAB4-60A3-4C24-B34C-A76D3734B7AB.jpeg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very similar car for sale about 5 years ago that I wanted to buy. But sold too quickly.

Was $33k back then. Had bbs style 5s and stainless exhaust.

Could be same, but doubtful due to lower price.

If rust free, definitely a good price.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this might be a scam. The price is very low, there's not a lot of detail, and it's not listed locally on Portland's CL.

I've been pretty involved in the vintage BMW scene in Portland for the last 17 years. I don't think I've ever seen this car before. It has current OR tags, it probably lives here, it's just amazing to me that I've never seen it before.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vince, it is not a scam.
I almost brought this car 3-4 years ago. And I just saw it. It was offered to me to purchase. He is on the up and up. When i saw it and put a down payment on it years back the kids(maybe 23 at the time) was putting a lot of work and effort into it. Tried to sell it to me only to have his dad step in and say no. After a number of years he finally was able to get the car and just received the oregon title. He offered it to me but I was not in a financial position to purchase it. Now that brings us up to date. And I think it is already sold. Hope I did not give to much of his personal info but felt it was pertinent so everyone know he is a good seller.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well now, the plot thickens....a friend phoned the dealership this morning that was in one of the photos and they knew nothing about the car. The photo appeared to show it was being offered by that shop. So what's up with that?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree that the picture may be deceptive, but the car is listed in the for sale by the owner section and not the dealer section.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vince, it is not a scam.
I almost brought this car 3-4 years ago. And I just saw it. It was offered to me to purchase. He is on the up and up. When i saw it and put a down payment on it years back the kids(maybe 23 at the time) was putting a lot of work and effort into it. Tried to sell it to me only to have his dad step in and say no. After a number of years he finally was able to get the car and just received the oregon title. He offered it to me but I was not in a financial position to purchase it. Now that brings us up to date. And I think it is already sold. Hope I did not give to much of his personal info but felt it was pertinent so everyone know he is a good seller.

I believe it's real car living in the Portland area. Again, just amazed I've never seen it before. Glad to hear it's a real ad but it's still looks a little suspect.

The one shot is in front of Pacific MotorSports, an independent repair shop - not a dealer. Probably the last place I would take a picture of my car at.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe it's real car living in the Portland area. Again, just amazed I've never seen it before. Glad to hear it's a real ad but it's still looks a little suspect.

The one shot is in front of Pacific MotorSports, an independent repair shop - not a dealer. Probably the last place I would take a picture of my car at.
Vince, unclear, are you saying a dealer is the last place for a photo shoot or an independent shop, specifically PMS, and why? Just curious.

Steve

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Am I correct that they retained the emissions eq with Webers switch? Don't think I've seen that, but I live in a state with zero auto inspections.

Glad it appears real. I stopped looking (not that I'm a buyer) b/c I thought the tag was photo-shopped, but looking at the second rear pic from above, I guess it is just brand new.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vince, unclear, are you saying a dealer is the last place for a photo shoot or an independent shop, specifically PMS, and why? Just curious.

Steve

Well, if it's my car (in this case, it looks like it's a private sale), I can think of a thousand better places in the PNW to use a backdrop to show the car off. Why would you affiliate your car with a business if you don't need to? To me, it just raises questions for a potential buyer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is one of these scenarios where a poorly executed ad either is a scam or could present a gem at a great price from an unwitting seller.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
In this case it is not a scam. Sometimes you just have to believe the seller does not have a hidden agenda and just wants to sell the car. I did not give my analysis of the car because I don't believe I am qualified enough to complete solid PPI for someone else to purchase. The car was in decent shape except it had some rust on the outside, around the plugs in the floor pan. Pulled the floor carpet and there was no rust on the inside. Wheel wells and shock towers looked good. Some surface rust and slight bubbling. Did not check the LSD ratio but he said it had one. Has stahl headers and stainless exhaust. Sounded great but the exhaust is poorly routed and does not look original in any way. Dash needs help. Someone tried to stitch a cover a cracked original dash. Wood is in poor shape. Looks like the motor was originally injected and suggested he get the Vin off the motor and see if it is a 3.0. I am pretty sure it is sold by now. Someone put a deposit but have not followed up with him since.