Please close

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The battery cables won't be affected by too many jumps. When you hook up your charger to start the engine, where do you hook the cables?
Is your ground wire cleanly connected at both ends?

jmackro

Reaction score
If I jump it with a battery charger car fires right up.

This is an odd problem.

When you say "jump it with a battery charger" what sort of a battery charger are you using? Most chargers only put out a few amps - enough to re-charge a battery over several hours - but not enough to run the starter with a dead battery. Is it possible that your battery cables aren't making good contact with the battery posts, but by adding the force of the charger clamps, they connect well enough to start the engine? Does connecting the battery charger make a difference even with the charger unplugged?

Now that you have a rebuilt alternator and new voltage regulator, does the "GEN" light go out when the engine is running?

I doubt the problem is your solenoid or ignition switch, since they seem to work just fine with the battery charger in place.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When it cranks does it crank at normal speed? In other words, is it a crank normal versus no crank situation or does it crank slowly when it cranks? How old are your battery cables and are they "swollen" at all?

Filthy E3

Reaction score
The battery cables won't be affected by too many jumps. When you hook up your charger to start the engine, where do you hook the cables?
Is your ground wire cleanly connected at both ends?
Recleaned everything and made sure everything was tight.

Did an engine start with the my craftsman charger and all day its been turning on fine. Weird...

Will be turning the car on periodically throughout the week.

Thank you for the reply

The cables are hooked straight to the battery from the charger

Filthy E3

Reaction score
This is an odd problem.

When you say "jump it with a battery charger" what sort of a battery charger are you using? Most chargers only put out a few amps - enough to re-charge a battery over several hours - but not enough to run the starter with a dead battery. Is it possible that your battery cables aren't making good contact with the battery posts, but by adding the force of the charger clamps, they connect well enough to start the engine? Does connecting the battery charger make a difference even with the charger unplugged?

Now that you have a rebuilt alternator and new voltage regulator, does the "GEN" light go out when the engine is running?

I doubt the problem is your solenoid or ignition switch, since they seem to work just fine with the battery charger in place.
Yes the gen light is completely off now,

I cleaned every and made sure everything was tight. The car couldn't turn on by itself but after using the battery charger to start it...the car has been turning on fine all day now

May have been an old ground cable since I put a new one in place

Filthy E3

Reaction score
When it cranks does it crank at normal speed? In other words, is it a crank normal versus no crank situation or does it crank slowly when it cranks? How old are your battery cables and are they "swollen" at all?
Cables dont look swollen but figured after so many jumps I may have damaged them (resistance wise) cables are the ones the car had when purchased... so 5 years now.

The car does crank regularly or as it should when I connect the battery charger.

After cleaning everything and tightening the car IMMEDIATELY turns on now as I turn the key. Hopefully it continues to haha.