Period radio (1972) info?

coupelady

Reaction score
I could think of no better place to find out info on how it worked on purchasing a CS in 1972 with a radio than the forum of CS owners. I do remember that the radio was a dealer option so that might have opened up the idea that each dealer might have had a different brand to install or BMW supplied them? My car was purchased out of Birmingham Alabama, not sure what that would have to do with it but I thought I'd mention it. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of those old radios that has been updated internally. I am very interested to learn if any of you have done this. Seems like I do remember that we have so little space for the installation so the right unit should be selected to ft into the space and over the carpet and into tranny tunnel. Becker and Blauplunkt brands are sticking in my head as period options. I do know that our panels around the unit are very fragile so I want to get it right (on the size and brand) so the selected shop will do the installation only once. I have put this off due to the cost, uncertainty of what this car might have had, and the fragile nature of the radio area.

How far off am I? Of course any info would be greatly appreciated.

Amy
coupelady

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Amy -- Your car sounds so spectacular it inspired me to seek out a triple Weber setup. Not sure you will remember this, but we met at Sharkfest about eight years ago when I first started hunting for my coupe, and got into a conversation about the crate motor that was installed in your car and how the guy working on it talked you into the carbs. You then fired up your car and I fell in love.

I don't have a radio in my car, and I don't miss it:

20170730_184321.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What kind of radio do you have now? If the dash plate is cut for a modern DIN faceplate then you’ll have more to do than just find a period correct model. Most dealers offered Blaupunkt and Becker so the choice would be a personal one.

Dohn

Reaction score
When I bought my coupe the PO had installed a modern digital (Tokyo by night) radio. Fortunately he had sent the old Becker Europa II in to have it serviced with the intention of selling it later. I was able to buy it from him and reinstall it. It was upgraded to allow connecting a phone or iPod, which, along with a power plug, I installed in the glove box. It looks period correct (although I'm not sure the Europa II was available in '74) and functions beautifully.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do you have AC?

If not, then you could probably get away with a full DIN Becker as they're more common than the Europa that fits within just the OEM faceplate opening.

I would definitely try to find a STEREO version. Like a Becker Europa II. Or a Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereo. Whichever one you get, make sure it's USA! None of that LMKUU stuff.

Examples here:

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What kind of radio do you have now? If the dash plate is cut for a modern DIN faceplate then you’ll have more to do than just find a period correct model. Most dealers offered Blaupunkt and Becker so the choice would be a personal one.

If your dash plate was cut for a "modern radio", as mine was, if you buy a vintage Blaupunkt, e.g. Franfurt Stereo, you need the Blaupunkt brackets that attach to each side of the radio under the knobs and hold the radio in the enlarged hole by a spring mechanism. It works perfect. This company in Long Island, NY has all the parts and radios - Vintageblau.com.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your dash plate was cut for a "modern radio", as mine was, if you buy a vintage Blaupunkt, e.g. Franfurt Stereo, you need the Blaupunkt brackets that attach to each side of the radio under the knobs and hold the radio in the enlarged hole by a spring mechanism. It works perfect. This company in Long Island, NY has all the parts and radios - Vintageblau.com.
Amy, if you have triple carbs that's all you need. My Blaupunkt never worked. I listen to the engine(D-jet) the custom exhaust, the wind with all the windows down. No distractions. I am one with the car. And that's about as spiritual as I get.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Frankfurt looks period correct and works fine but there are no longer any good stations to listen to. I added a wireless connection to back and when not enjoying triple Weber symphony I turn on the radio to enable my Spotify playlists.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paging @Drew Gregg. He was just doing/planning this work. Something about mega bass competitions, but I may have imagined that last part.

dbower

Reaction score

Amy:

There is a significant thread on period radio options in 2002FAQ, including how to ID year of manufacture. And I second the recomendation for Vintageblau. The owner, Ingo Prangenberg, reconditioned the the original Euro Blaupunkt Mannheim in our 2002. Not cheap but quality work and very knowledgeable/helpful with questions. He also carries a variety of reconditioned units for sale.

Don

lloyd

Reaction score
It may sound like sacrilege, but there were other choices besides Becker and Blaupunkt available in the early '70s. To be sure, the two Bs were probably the most popular of the higher end radios, but Philips and Grundig also come to mind. There were likely various dealer incentives to sell and install Becker and Blaupunkts; however, a few unorthodox dealers and various customers, when given a choice, might opt for (dare I type it) Japanese offerings. I can think of several examples where owners of early '70s German built autos were displeased with either the performance or expense of the more typical European offerings in favor of the market expanding Pioneers and Hitachi's, etc. Although the design, build quality and sound reproduction may not have been the equal of their Euro counterparts, they served their purpose and many still prove satisfactory.

The other reason for mentioning these alternatives is the fact that many "off market" radios were extremely compact and easy to fit in particularly tight quartered E9 center consoles.

6c23d9c9-f863-4d75-b398-2c67eff65cf2.jpg

grundig-vintage-classic-car-fm-stereo-radio-ac125-cassette-player-mp3-seevideo-6-month-warranty-[4]-1275-p.jpg
iu
31fd9b879cbf925bb8507dbca0081dce.1000x748x1.jpg
7cda52be-4166-40fe-b8e4-1b20fc78a844.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

lsquaredb

Reaction score
My car never had a radio. I wanted something period correct, but less common, so I fitted a mono Grundig Weltklang Statomat. It was Grundig’s top of the line and was shown in a E9 in their old brochure. It features four bands and a motor driven seek function which is rather charming. I got E9 style knobs off of ebay, and they fit fine. The nos chassis and bezel came from Christoph Bier (cs-werk.de), and he included a ton of installation information.

I can’t send a picture now since the car is at Mario’s getting a new oil pump and engine bearings.

Leonard
1970 2800cs bristol

coupelady

Reaction score
I am overwhelmed with this information!

Just as I had hoped, experience was what I was looking for and here it is!

My day was made by the comment from Ohmess about not needing a radio - yes of course. What kind words, triple Webers do rule as joyful music. I think I wrote an article for the CS Register about said joyful music. Thanks for those words, it meant a lot.

I had heard of these reconditioned radios from a vintage Porsche good friend Gerry Sutterfield so I thought I would pursue it for a replacement. I have an aftermarket cassette now, the cassette stopped working. I have found when we are cruising to a show or a long run a radio is great. Yes I do have the a/c face plate and a large hole cut for the newer radio all things to bear in mind. I also have the great pleasure to know a local restorer in Morganton, NC Blacktop Studios who has a very knowledgeable BMW owner Josh employed there. They have solved many minor problems like the passenger side door not opening (huge embarrassment at the Vintage a few years ago. Josh was super careful with the door disassembly that I thought he'd be the one to do this work. (The locking mechanism was 1/2 way locked with 27 years of gunk)

ANYWAY, thank you to all for all your experiences gentlemen. I will follow up with Vintageblu. I am hoping that Santa might bring the appropriate radio as parts ARE my Christmas list.

coupelady

Reaction score
Another thought, does anyone have any brochures from the dealer on the radio in their car? I have the a/c "booklet" that came with my car, I wonder if there was such a thing for the radio? Great stuff for events and concours. It has been years since I have purchased literature. Who is the person now who sells BMW literature?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My radio is so period correct that it gives me old news. I just heard this morning that Spiro Agnew resigned. Bummer, the markets do not need more uncertainty...oh well.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another thought, does anyone have any brochures from the dealer on the radio in their car? I have the a/c "booklet" that came with my car, I wonder if there was such a thing for the radio? Great stuff for events and concours. It has been years since I have purchased literature. Who is the person now who sells BMW literature?

some there were
where to find
it is another story

CB95C535-0EBB-4348-BA5A-E27D4EB760D7.jpeg
8BC85BDC-9B7D-4A06-B35C-5678C8812BF1.jpeg
2260689B-3870-4FAC-BBBC-451145EF4F12.jpeg
CB95C535-0EBB-4348-BA5A-E27D4EB760D7.jpeg
8BC85BDC-9B7D-4A06-B35C-5678C8812BF1.jpeg
2260689B-3870-4FAC-BBBC-451145EF4F12.jpeg