Panel thickness/gauge

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
The CSL's were as we know fitted with a thinner gauge metal to the front wings etc. does anyone know what the gauge was?

As an example I seem to recall something like:

CS wings 18gauge

CSL wings 22gauge

could anyone please confirm these stats?

Thanks

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
I cannot provide a photo but the measured surface is bare factory metal finish without paint (as supplied by the factory).

I managed to measure a CS wing today and this was approx .914 i.e.20 gauge? and therefore believe the CSL wing is 22 gauge at approximately .711

Thanks for response...

chicane

Reaction score
jonathan49bat said:
The CSL's were as we know fitted with a thinner gauge metal to the front wings etc. does anyone know what the gauge was?

As an example I seem to recall something like:

CS wings 18gauge

CSL wings 22gauge

could anyone please confirm these stats?

Thanks

Do a quick search I am almost positive I was involved in a discussion on this very issue. :)

Someone provided numerous specs.

hennaroth

Reaction score
..... sorry jonathan, I understood only now whats wings are :D , in previous time I think you talk of fender....so....... mine for CSL are dismounted in garage easy to take measure , tomorrow I'll send you the correct specs.

hennaroth

Reaction score

Mario L.

Reaction score
fwiw . . .

the new replacement fenders from BMW weigh less than the original CSL "fenders" and or "wings" . .depending on your geographic location :lol:

The sold by BMW replacements are no where near the quality of the originals and take a bit of extra effort to fit.

AFAIK, there are no left over NOS CSL fenders available . . if someone has a set they'd like to sell, I have a real CSL in my shop that needs these!

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
Hennaroth

Thanks for the effort you have put into posting photo etc, but a little confusion here - it is the thickness of the metal itself rather than measurement of panel distances.

Richard