PA: 1973 3.0 CSA Project - $15K obo

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This one popped up on BMWCCA around the fourth of July. I have been actively keeping my eye out for a more sturdy starting point for my project. Given that it needs floor panels and paint, I’m officially out.

I have been speaking with the owner Bob Pirkle for a few weeks. He is a nice guy, and easy to work with. Bob has had the car in his garage for 30 years after moving from TX to PA. He said it ran when last parked, and is confident that a new owner can get it going again.

He believes that the car has an original 85K miles. That seems reasonable given that it has sat for three decades. The thin vinyl seat is cracked but the interior looks less used than your typical craigslist e28. Shoot Bob an email...

Things I spot. There was some visible mildew in the interior, likely due to lack of ventilation in a northeast garage. There is a small dent on the driver’s quarter just behind the door. Typical patch panel area, and the patch is available. That area is also accessible from inside the car. I see minor evidence of the inner fenders rubbing the hood, which tells me that the hood wasn’t aligned or the inner fenders have moved. I’ve seen this on cars in much better shape than this. The rust shown in the pics looks shallow. There may be some small rust holes near the passenger side front shock tower. Look closely. The center console isn’t secured at the bottom and is subsequently sagging.

Bob’s comments:

3 surface rust spots... 2 on left fender and 1 on hood... shown in pics.
slight damage to left front fender.. shown in pics... I have been told it can be repaired without removing fender.
drivers seat base is torn... may need replaced.
right and left floor pans need replaced.
new paint needed.
no rust on front shocks... shown in pics
no rust shown in top of hood release compartment or glovebox... shown in pics....”

Bob Pirkle
[email protected]

BMW’s Comments:

Dear @Markos

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic US with VIN 2250548 was manufactured on April 01st, 1973 and delivered on August 22nd, 1973 to the UK. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer”

F9A81F30-28DA-428D-B2B1-DF2AD7ECC2F1.jpeg
0B52AF03-54DB-4026-93E8-17B6EA1A5634.jpeg
7F51396C-F855-4052-A7CC-0F2606A1DEF6.jpeg
F0D4B6A9-DB60-4D7E-87EF-7256B4E75D4A.jpeg
13B4FD35-287C-4C86-8648-D12CBF5E94E2.jpeg
857A4106-1F2A-4EAE-9F33-7B4ABA50E5B0.jpeg
235D7627-A142-4DD0-826D-1E0392E955A3.jpeg
51CD3FB3-BC4D-4116-9D51-0EDC70222E60.jpeg
3F3548E9-34DA-4367-A464-C231D42290BC.jpeg
347727A6-FA97-4190-A461-5834654956F2.jpeg
D20E1E72-6E08-43C4-A30F-B6DDC38FF598.jpeg
FD3016FC-3C5F-4CFF-ACF3-4E7469B1522C.jpeg
666DC057-FF82-4B49-A408-D46BF809AFB4.jpeg
F9E995DD-A4CE-42D1-9A11-AB0E89FB602D.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Originally RHD if delivered to the UK?

Nope, LHD us car. Likely military or diplomat IMO. I mentioned this car in an other listing where we were discussing cars delivered to other countries.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Mark,

As I said, I can't post on this site until I get registration approval, but here is what I would post if I could. Perhaps you could post this for me:

If any of you who are interested in my 3.0 CS know someone in the Pittsburgh area who has e9 expertise and would come out and inspect the car, I would welcome them and their objective observations to be posted on this site. As soon as I am registered on this site I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Bob Pirkle”

Bob Pirkle

Reaction score
Now that I am registered, here are some details in my own words.

I bought the car in 1989 off a used car lot in Stafford, TX (near Houston) which was on my way to and from work. It ran well and looked good so I enjoyed driving it most days for a couple of years in that area until we moved back to the Pittsburgh, PA area to join a little company I had started there. I moved the car back to Pittsburgh with us, but did not want to expose it to the salty winter roads, so I put it in my garage with intentions of doing some restoration later. I joined BMWCCA and saw that there were companies which specialized in these models and offered restoration services. I thought the paint had suffered through too many Houston summers and that a new paint job was something I would probably want. It also needed new rugs, floor pans and some repair to the driver’s seat cover (see pics). There are three spots of surface rust, two on the left front fender and one on the hood (see pics). The car has not been in any accident during my ownership. The left front fender has been bent slightly in what appears could have been a parking garage incident, but can probably be straightened without removing the fender (see pics). There was no visual evidence of bodywork when I bought it. The windows on the doors are manual roll-up and the rear windows are battery operated. The car does not have a sunroof, but does have AC. The current mileage is 87,826.

Well, what I didn’t anticipate was how much time starting and growing a small business would take and particularly for the first 10 years back in Pittsburgh I hardly had time to brush my teeth, let alone address restoration of my CS. So it was driven into my garage in the fall of 1991 and it stayed there until last week. I sold my business in 2013, but continued to work with the new owner for a couple of years until I needed major back surgery in 2015. That has been followed by a second major back surgery in 2018 and there is the potential for a third surgery. Presently I am walking only with a walker and I have had some time to reflect on the present and future status of the CS. Basically I have realized that I am not likely to be able to undertake any restoration project even if my mobility improves significantly from present. So, my wife and sons have convinced me to find a new home for the CS so I prepared the ad which recently appeared online and will appear in the September issue of the Roundel.

Again, I would welcome your questions.

Bob Pirkle

Last edited by a moderator:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds like a decent car.

FYI, you can post hi-res pictures here:

and share your album.

Selling on the internet, I learned you can never have enough pictures and youtube videos. People will be interested all over the world.

E.g. I sold my Jaguar xj12c to a guy on Switzerland thanks to all the pictures I took of it and honest description of the problem areas.