Overflow Tank Painted or Unpainted?

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Awesome, great info. Paintwork is not my strong suit, think I can be trusted on this job, hopefully

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO, looks like it has been painted after blasting, as the support brackets are steel and not brass (at least in mine they were steel)

Yeah I remember that one. Agreed on the paint. I have had three brass tanks and all had steel brackets.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
From http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/poweder-coating-soldered-parts-253639/

Depending on the solder alloy you use, there are several options. 60/40 (60% lead, 40% tin) melts at 460F, and old fashioned 50/50 plumber's solder melts at 418F. If there are hot spots in the oven, you may have problems, though. There are other solder alloys out there - check with Kester Co. for their recommendations.
Unless they specify soft solder, maybe you want to think about hard solder - also called silver solder - it's available from welding suppliers at a higher price than plumber's solder, but you know it won't have problems in the oven. Considering the cost of fixing a mess up, it might be a lot cheaper...

Some solders even though they don't melt can seriously weaken at exposure to high temps for a sustained time. Just becomes crystalline and a hell of a lot weaker, some of the lead free solders suffer badly from this. As above though a higher melting point lead based solder should be fine. Powder coating though can generaly be cured at a slightly lower temp just for a bit longer, a lot of powders will cross link just fine at 180C (356°F) instead of 200C (392°F) just takes about another 5 minutes of oven time. You can even get some powders that will cure just fine at a little over 150C (302°F), again they just take a bit longer.​