Overflow Tank Painted or Unpainted?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
How about powder coating?
I was going to powder coat mine, but then came to the conclusion that the powder I use needs 400 f to set and the solder holding these tanks together can't take that much heat.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the color of the car makes a big difference as to which looks best. take for instance a black coupe ... i do NOT think the black tank looks good. i think either a polished brass or a new, white plastic tank with blue BMW coolant looks best.

on a polaris silver coupe, i like the polished brass.
on a ceylon gold coupe, i like the black

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris speaketh the truth! Just a little metal polish every few weeks during cocktail hour is all it takes!

10pkZN60TcgNn1iItAKrbOnc0_zeJ6wdMzUfjq5znTqlDiftpSI0ezv-EPehb0EnYzjuszRoRF24_3kHCMEY1oauWucljfdqhXldFBsHlTqssRcGykaf4iFq6cvUZtRzg0LvDDaCDltzqEGZem34ASZS1tpSvS5R5bh_z_d4Gkj4iTrP9FMh-SFyWDpr8h-s0z8NxHBcaUsLG7bxyXya5_5KTs0WdU8moZLg2wDeq-A-pMDAtjOgAIZ4YfUYr2ZAnQjZXT2WAbPsjtSKl-uPnM9bBbk_bXjzuNnl5QxhHsVF1k22SkEsP23kisn6aa5sA29B_bpDwZLDRM4jR-0qkMIxDCqyzls-Cg9gpSRRjTtwMNDKKLUGy1ubQwE317xPA9x8ji1ZA2emw0mYVB7rhUEPruiL8Qp1BYhIEMjU-LAq1yp6oNK9mHaY_RYbNnJ2yxEUOsCd2yQMCdSeTmK06HMgLUsApHSFTJmsNW0L-RUieKelRQqH67uDo2O8Za4R_HXD5yyQMNV_xDH98LbWj8GYjsRAzaWsjg_c-GOGX9KQbtfaWYWVNNA-fiqzFsYQv_1x_BIF-36srjNrznV2fyorLzyDGMEYXVCI5rZOCA=w1027-h771-no
Not to hijack the thread but whenever I see Steve or Tom (Pannacci) triple webers, I begin to lust....

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oneils asked me to upload his picture. Looking good!

Attachments

• 20171108_151515_resized.jpg
    20171108_151515_resized.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 137

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oneils asked me to upload his picture. Looking good!
My mechanic felt bead blasting might dimple the brass. Used paint remover and love the results. A new virgin white brake fluid reservior and cap/sending unit on the way. Cost including shipping $37. Thank you Don.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good question about what is in front of the rad. My engine was built by a Racer named Alex Anduzzi(sp). Installed in my coupe many years ago it has always run COLD. Never gone even to the half mark on the gauge. Over time my mechanic installed a new fan, clutch and thermostat. To no avail. So I called Alex, and he told me he ported(enlarged) the cooling chambers so the the engine would perform better cold. I never knew this.

My mechanic made a thin plywood baffle? that I slide in front of the rad when the weather turns chilly to get the engine up to the correct temp. I have to take it out in the summer or it works too well and the engine overheats. Well its version of overheating.

Anyone else know about this situation?

Steve

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suggest you calibrate your temp gauge system.
Laser pyrometers are 40 bucks

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good question about what is in front of the rad. My engine was built by a Racer named Alex Anduzzi(sp). Installed in my coupe many years ago it has always run COLD. Never gone even to the half mark on the gauge. Over time my mechanic installed a new fan, clutch and thermostat. To no avail. So I called Alex, and he told me he ported(enlarged) the cooling chambers so the the engine would perform better cold. I never knew this.

My mechanic made a thin plywood baffle? that I slide in front of the rad when the weather turns chilly to get the engine up to the correct temp. I have to take it out in the summer or it works too well and the engine overheats. Well its version of overheating.

Anyone else know about this situation?

Steve

As to the baffle, if you spent any time on the highways in areas of the US with both cold winters and significant industrial production, you will frequently see grill covers on the front of 18 wheel trucks. These are often square covering the entire grill, with flaps in the center that fold outward. If all four are folded out, they reveal a baseball diamond shape. If its really cold they may not open all four flaps. Pick up truck guys sometimes buy these too, particularly given the gargantuan grills on today's pickups.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
To resurrect this thread, I'm going to strip and repaint my coolant header tank and the power steering reservoir cover over the weekend. To get a smart smooth finish do I need to use a primer coat? I have some Hycote satin black spray for the top coat

Cheers

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To resurrect this thread, I'm going to strip and repaint my coolant header tank and the power steering reservoir cover over the weekend. To get a smart smooth finish do I need to use a primer coat? I have some Hycote satin black spray for the top coat

Cheers

The paint will adhere better with a primer coat.

Wladek

Reaction score

Cheers
After stripping make good degreasing first, then put something like aluminium primer or epoxy primer.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
you must use it the absolue best primer is avail in 12oz spray can
its in a gray can called "transtar"
it has the capabilty to cover all minor variations in the surface and all scratches.
it is absolutly the best primer
ive done a ton of painting