Overflow Tank Painted or Unpainted?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Currently my overflow tank is black. I seem to remember unpainted metal tanks. Did they ever come from the factory that way. They look more attractive unpainted to me. What are the problems, if any?

Steve

Honolulu

Reaction score
But the metal tanks are copper (or similar) and can be de-painted, bead blasted and polished. We all need more bling, and one more dang thing to clean of a weekend.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But the metal tanks are copper (or similar) and can be de-painted, bead blasted and polished. We all need more bling, and one more dang thing to clean of a weekend.

The metal tanks are made of brass. They do look cool polished up, just not original. @Stevehose has a polished one in his car. Goes very well with his shiny trumpets on his triple Webers.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Currently my overflow tank is black. I seem to remember unpainted metal tanks. Did they ever come from the factory that way. They look more attractive unpainted to me. What are the problems, if any?

Steve
Steve: although the air in Solebury is pristine, an unpainted tank will tarnish like it was breathed upon by the Donald.

climbernyc

Reaction score
621c3e9fb855e4a24ec4565f40d80f5b.jpg

Just replaced my original plastic tank with a restored brass one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
my 2cents, go with brass for the Victorian, steam punk look, you could do the exterior trim in brass also, but not for me
If you did natural brass you would need to clear coat it
If you have brass faucets or door nobs in your house you will notice they are clear coated
Don, where does one buy that brand of paint? How does it compare with Rustoleum Professional semi black?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
image.png
Recently offered on German eBay subsidiary. I thought it looked quite cool .........

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The metal tanks are made of brass. They do look cool polished up, just not original. @Stevehose has a polished one in his car. Goes very well with his shiny trumpets on his triple Webers.

Yes, well Steve enjoys finding excuses to caress various parts of his car. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
what looks cool in isolation doesn't always look good in its environment
Now if you were to brass plate a few more things under the hood, maybe the headers...

Don: Thanks for the link to the paint, I will give it a try!