Original Hoffman window sticker from a Bavaria

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I bought some E3 parts from a guy in Santa Rosa and he offered me this - the original window sticker from a Bavaria that was wrecked. I thought it was very cool.

2nY3Umg.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To think you could have bought 500 tool kits, held on to them and now retire on them....
I would love to see the prices of the other options. I remember the days when one could walk into a Chevy dealer, say 1957, and build/add fuel injection, a four speed, a posi-traction rear axle, and add some other goodies for a TOTAL of a couple hundred bucks. Drive to the drag strip the Sunday after delivery and be a star. Also, few knew at the time, but one could do the same to a '57 Bel Air Hardtop(black of course) with, yes it's true, a factory four-speed on the floor.

Does the name Iskedarian(sp) bring back any memories? Or slicks? Or Lake(sp) plugs?

Now those were the days my friend we thought would never end. Sigh

Steve

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I met Ed Iskendarian at his shop in the early 70's seeking advice on camshafts. He gave me a full tutorial on how to degree a cam and gave me the degree wheel we used to do it with. It's somewhere in my garage.
My bride and I lived a couple of blocks from NHRA legend Dale Armstrong's shop in Torrance. I remember hand carrying a set of Mopar Max Wedge heads over to his shop, one in each hand. When I got there my hands were so cramped up I couldn't open them.

Reactions: dp

jefftepper

Reaction score
Wow, blast from the past! In 1972, I bought my '69 1600 there off their used car lot on El Camino Real. At that time, B&B was also the local Saab dealership. Fast forward to today and B&B is now part of the VW dealership in Sunnyvale and the Saab business is a parts and service operation for those brave souls who still drive Saabs locally.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, blast from the past! In 1972, I bought my '69 1600 there off their used car lot on El Camino Real. At that time, B&B was also the local Saab dealership. Fast forward to today and B&B is now part of the VW dealership in Sunnyvale and the Saab business is a parts and service operation for those brave souls who still drive Saabs locally.
Mike and Jeff, I am talking early 60s when I flunked out of college three times, drag raced in a 40 Ford with a modified Olds V8 and then a 56 Chevy with a modified 283. Every town had a "Speed Shop" where you could get everything from cams to a complete rebuild and serious modification of an engine. One of my buddies had a 5.12 rear axle in his 57 Chevy. And we cut holes in the hood to accommodate the GMC blowers with multiple carbs.

We would close off country roads and race up and down in death traps with bald(amateur slicks) tires at obscene speeds, at least for those days.

Finally my father blew a rod, and I ended up in the Army Reserves, a serious joke in those days. But assigned to the Army Security Agency that worked for the invisible empire, the NSA. Grew up fast, went back to school and ended up a college teacher. By a really circuitous and lucky route.

Bought my first BMW, a 1971 1600, and that was the start of the love affair. Took that baby one summer on a 12,000 mile road trip across Canada, down the coast road, through TX, New Orleans along with many side trips. Cruised all day at 90 when I could, never hiccupped.

What fun.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great stories! I worked with a guy, Jim Del Nostro, and he had the best stories of his years growing up in the 60's Hollywood area, building and racing stuff. Really cool guy.