opinion on lifts

shanon

Reaction score
Gruppe, seriously looking at 4 posts lifts, who makes a good one? In northern CA, seeking purchasing and installation advise. TIA.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 4 post and many times I wish I also had a 2 post lift.

For servicing a race car the wheels, tires, brakes and suspension need frequent checks/adjustment (inbetween each event). For this the 2-post gives much better access. It I have to have a mobile tool cart because putting tools in the arms is too risky.

But for my street classics, I prefer the 4-post lift with bridge jack because I store lots of misc things on the lift , and can stand on the ramps for minor servicing without lowering the car (meaning I don’t have to move the other classic car stored underneath.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gruppe, seriously looking at 4 posts lifts, who makes a good one? In northern CA, seeking purchasing and installation advise. TIA.
You might start with finding someone to install it and ask them for advice on which ones are best.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gemini makes an excellent US made lift. Located in Texas, website is radlifts.com

Ready to buy my 2nd SG-7000XLT

shanon

Reaction score
Thx for replies. will research...have experience w/ two post lifts, there's one in the 'other' Batcave....500 miles away... doh!

Anyone have experience/own the 'Quick Jack' scissors lifts? Certainly easier to relocate if needed...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
We had a quick jack in one of our labs for three years. It has pros and cons. Lifts nicely for wheel/brake/suspension work. Nice in that it is mobile (but pretty heavy). It is pretty tall in the down position, so lowered cars will likely need 2x10 pine boards on each side of the quick jack. The the boards can get in the way of where you might want to position the lifting arms. So the you need multi-piece drive on boards so you can remove the board section between the front/back tires. For some cars this was a PITA. On other cars it was great. We got rid of it but I recall you need 4” or 4.5” of ground clearance to drive over it. Good for limited situations but miles away from having a real lift. Rob Siegel has one and likes it, AFAIK.

restart

Reaction score
I bought bendpak.
Works great.
Extra height is nice. Clear floor. The four poster rolls around. Roll it outside for cleaning under carriage. You will definitely need one of each. 2 and 4 poster.

pat cooks

Reaction score
I used two post lifts all my working life plus a couple of 4 post, the two post wins every time except for a major rust rebuild but now I am retired I have a single sided portable lift, like a two post but only one monster post, has a pallet truck pump / wheels one end so it can be moved when empty, it is actually very useful and provides great access for a lot of repair jobs, can be moved out of the way when used for storage or placed in the center of the shop when doing a big job, combined with tall stands is very handy, suits me because of height limitations at the sides of my home shop,
2002 on lift.jpg
up in the air.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gemini makes an excellent US made lift. Located in Texas, website is radlifts.com

Ready to buy my 2nd SG-7000XLT
Hey Andrew,
Did you order your 2nd lift from Rad Lifts? I am between the Gemini and one other manufacturer. I've called Mitch at Rad Lifts about eleven times and sent some web messages. He called back once (after my first call), but we did't finish our conversation. Now I can't seem to get them to return a call. I've just been trying to get more information about the lifts and a price - they don't have any detailed information on their website.
Thanks in advance for any insider information!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stephen,

Yes, just completed the order with Mitch last Wednesday. Bought another black SG-7000 with Aluminum ramps & 3 drip trays. This is the same model I purchased in 2011. Delivery time is 6-8 weeks.

http://radliftsbygemini.com/portfolio-view/is-7000-car-lift/

SG lifts are made in the USA take 6-8 weeks to ship.
IG Lifts are imported, they are in stock, ready to ship & half the cost of the US made lifts.

Recommend aluminum ramps, sliding pneumatic bridge jack & possibly the castors. I use the bridge jack fairly often. Used the castors once for positioning after assembly. The lift weighs 2,000 pounds, so keep that in mind.

Assembled my lift in 2 days with a friend. Will need to buy 2 gallons of ATF fluid for the reservoir.

Hope all this helps.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

Be sure the concrete floor guys know where you want the lift(s) to be placed so they can reinforce the floor in that area.

Gary
Yep, got that covered. I had our structural engineer make a recommendation on the reinforcing, which I will likely provide myself for the crew to set.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Recommend reinforcing the whole floor. Our slab has 2 layers of 4 inch 8' x 4' steel mesh. So I can put lifts anywhere.