Oil cooler info

Bwana

Reaction score
I recently bought this from a fellow forum member. Two questions:

What is it worth, i.e., sale price? We just took a flyer at it and I want to be sure I'm not cheeping out on him

Will it fit an e3? I'm planning on building a turbo Bavaria and this looks like just the ticket (Anything will probably fit with enough brackets but is there an easy way?)

IMG_20191207_150109321.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
150.00 ballpark. I can’t see the head unit?
Go to hose shop and go flex line from cooler to head.
Cut a matching size and shape hole as the AC lines and line the new hole metal with rubber

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the same cooler in my e9. As Don said, use flexible hose and hopefully you can see how everything fits in from the pictures. It's a little cramped but it's easy to make the brackets and it adds some capacity as well as cooling
oil cooler.jpg
oil cooler1.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the same cooler I was going to install on my E3. Interesting spot Peter. That is on a coupe though correct? The Bav is a little tighter and not the same access I don't think. Can you take a few more shots, it's kind of hard to tell where the cooler is. Mine is the e24 cooler, looks the same as the one in the above picture. I am interested in following this thread to see how yours turns out in the e3 Bwanna. The e24 has way more room in the nose and it fits great there. I have been scratching my head for best fitment on an e3. Other pictures of e3's where these fit and work would be awesome to see.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is an oil cooler from an Euro e24 as well. Everything up front has to come out to get the cooler in there. There really is no other decent place to put it, although I think in the e24 it's mounted behind the bumper on the outside of the car. I can't remember exactly where it's mounted on the e24, but it could possibly fit on the outside of the e3. I am not turbocharging my e3- or any car for that matter as I have enough problems in my life. I will try for some better pictures and I will have a look at the old bav in my backyard to see if it looks like it will fit-

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I looked at the Bav. NFW will it fit where I positioned it in the e9. Maybe if your e3 doesn't have A/C, but you may be better off using an after-market one (or 2) with the Turbo set-up. I don't think there is anything special about the e24 cooler except that it's used on BMW's..

Bwana

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I may end up going with one or more aftermarket coolers. Don't hold your breath as far as me getting this done, I've got three other cars ahead of it to do. At least I'm finally retired and now I have some TIME to work on all this stuff!