NY/NJ 1972 3.0CS Project

NewYorkBeemer

Reaction score
After 7 months of owning and making progress toward restoring my e9, I've been doing some soul searching and think it might be time to pass the torch. I live in NYC and don't have time to work on the e9 because it is stored in Central NJ and I have only been able to work on it ~once a month. Lately this has taken the wind out of my sails and I think the car deserves to be restored faster and to be driven/enjoyed more than I can manage currently.

Description
The car is black on black, originally Verona exterior I believe. (Will send VIN and pics to anyone who is interested.) The original 3.0 and 4 speed both work well, no issues shifting, and the car passed inspection in NJ after a carb tune in August. As part of the project I think the carbs should either be tuned or rebuilt to get the most out of it. Unknown mileage, I have put ~1.5k on it since I've owned it. The car is a reliable and fun driver (I put 130 miles on it this weekend with no issues).

The car needs significant rust repair in the rockers (see picture below), floors (i have replacement floors and will include them with the sale), and front quarters as far as I can see. I took the car to Dave at Oldwick Garage in NJ (has restored dozens of e9's) for a thorough inspection. He described it as restorable, far from the worst he has seen/worked on. Panels gaps are good and doors close well. On the mechanical side it also needs new struts/shocks (springs are fine) and there is a minor trans oil leak (the seals in front of where the drive shaft meets the back of the trans).

Everything needed to drive it safely is fine, I swapped out the entire exhaust system excluding the headers (parts from La Jolla), replaced leaky power steering hoses and rebuilt the clutch slave. Also handled more cosmetic issues such as the power windows which all work now.

Interior is in fair condition, front seats are in good shape (the pic below, will provide some better pictures when I have a chance), I think the leather has been replaced - no rips/cracks. Rears are in good shape as well, no rips or cracks. The rear armrests are faded but I am including new ones L/R with new window switches. Headliner has no tears and is clean. The wood on the dash looks good but is feels rough to touch, should be sanded and resealed I think. The wood on the doors needs to be redone. The dash has several cracks on top, all of the trim pieces are present though. Gauges except clock and OD work (OD is not hooked up). Wheel is from a 2002 I believe. Passenger side mirror, hazard light button, replacement floors and armrests, assorted seals, a fuel injection conversion (not sure if complete, happy to look through what I have if someone has a list of what should be there) and all other spare parts I have will be included in the sale.

PM me if you're interested in learning more. I am not dead-set on selling it, I sketched out a thorough plan to restore it so this might just be cold feet from not seeing as much progress as I was hoping by this point and not having much time to tackle the larger tasks. My asking price of $14,000 is less than what I've spent on it so far.

1972_BMW_CS_E9_Coupe_Projects_Fpr_Sale_Interior_resize.jpg

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

Last edited: