Numero Uno

tygaboy

Reaction score
post-453-1706291186.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve Walker who is lafngrvy on this forum owns Luigi CSL 001 which is this pictured CSL with Hans Joachim Stück. At the 2016 Amelia Island Concours, Hans was the Honored Driver. Steve shipped Luigi, Rey shipped the Hillclimb 700RS, Audi, BMW & Porsche sent cars & the rest were from private collections.

Hans signed Luigi's passenger side dash with a Metallic Silver Sharpie.

The famous "Flying CSL" Hans raced on the Nurburgring was notably absent. In 1975 was bought by Hervé Poulain commissioned his friend, Alexander Calder to paint the car. Calder built boldly painted large cantilevered-kinetic-mobile-sculpures so the CSL was called the "Caldermobile" for years.

In 1977 the CSL was included in The Alexander Calder Retrospective Exhibit. We saw the exhibit at The Carnegie Museum or Art in Pittsburgh PA. I was 8 at the time & remember it like yesterday. The car was in the enormous glass & black floor entrance hall outside the gift shop As people entered, it was the first thing everyone saw. It was a glorious sight to behold, no heavy stanchion red velvet ropes or anything to detract from the car. Was smitten the spot & have been a BMW fan, aficionado, owner & collector since that day. 39 years later in 2016, the Calder Art Car & I were reunited at Laguna Seca & Pebble Beach, both had glass walls & ropes to protect the cars from the people.

https://www.lezebre.eu/car/bmw 30 csl/photo gallery/photo gallery bmw 30 csl 2275992.htm

2016-Amelia-Honoree-Hans-Joachim-Stuck-and-his-cars-photo-Nathan-Deremer.jpg

Pebble Beach 2016.jpg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve Walker who is lafngrvy on this forum owns Luigi CSL 001 which is this pictured CSL with Hans Joachim Stück. At the 2016 Amelia Island Concours, Hans was the Honored Driver. Steve shipped Luigi, Rey shipped the Hillclimb 700RS, Audi, BMW & Porsche sent cars & the rest were from private collections.

Hans signed Luigi's passenger side dash with a Metallic Silver Sharpie.

The famous "Flying CSL" Hans raced on the Nurburgring was notably absent. In 1975 was bought by Hervé Poulain commissioned his friend, Alexander Calder to paint the car. Calder built boldly painted large cantilevered-kinetic-mobile-sculpures so the CSL was called the "Caldermobile" for years.

In 1977 the CSL was included in The Alexander Calder Retrospective Exhibit. We saw the exhibit at The Carnegie Museum or Art in Pittsburgh PA. I was 8 at the time & remember it like yesterday. The car was in the enormous glass & black floor entrance hall outside the gift shop As people entered, it was the first thing everyone saw. It was a glorious sight to behold, no heavy stanchion red velvet ropes or anything to detract from the car. Was smitten the spot & have been a BMW fan, aficionado, owner & collector since that day. 39 years later in 2016, the Calder Art Car & I were reunited at Laguna Seca & Pebble Beach, both had glass walls & ropes to protect the cars from the people.

https://www.lezebre.eu/car/bmw 30 csl/photo gallery/photo gallery bmw 30 csl 2275992.htm

I remember getting a call from Terry (worked on Steves car ) or was it Steve himself (damn that memory thing :) )when they heard H.J Stuck was going to be featured at Amelia, very late in the day and well past time for entries. "pete, do you know anybody down there, the Luigi should be included" which of course I agreed with and we made it happen.

It was a fun day, but I have to say Laguna Seca and Pebble in 2016, shown in your pictures above Andrew, will always be the ultimate for me.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was a fun day, but I have to say Laguna Seca and Pebble in 2016, shown in your pictures above Andrew, will always be the ultimate for me.

Likewise BMW Pete, we are cut from the same cloth.
Several of The BMW Vintage & Classic CCA members drove cross country for the 100 Years of BMW. Remember specifically when we actually met each other in person. We had parked up the hill on some side street, I walked down the hill & past the grocery store down to Ocean Avenue. Crossing near the Tiffany's end in Carmel as you were parking the CSL on Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance as I crossed the street & introduced myself.

As they say, the rest is history. Monterey 2016 was the year, as some say "everything was right in the world!" From The Roads to Monterey Tour, Concours on The Avenue, The Little Car Show, Tour d'Elegance, Coupe Gathering in Pacific Grove, Legends of the Autobahn, The Quail, Laguna Seca Weekend & The Pebble Beach Concours.

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

With Pete Gleeson.jpg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some great pictures and memories there mate :)

Driving on the lawn in the Procar, what an experience.

Still looking for that crazy picture of Mike Pelly driving the golf cart with Jennifer riding fireman style hold the front clip of the Procar on the roof. So many people were taking pictures of what must have seemed funny on the day, yet I have tried and tried, but no luck

1706471797879.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i recognize Lothar's black 328. that is a beautiful car. it has its own @BMW Pete story. he outbid BMW for the car at auction as i remember. we saw the car at O'fest in ATL around 2008 - the same year it was on the cover of the Roundel.

love the pics of @BMW Pete 's cars ... great pic of Pete + Andrew. both are the genuine article.