Noisy speedo cable

pmansson

Reaction score
On 2 cars with new speedocables, i seem to have a noise from behind the instruments. I suspect the speedowire, as the noise varies with speed.

What might be the cause here?

bengal taiga

Reaction score
On 2 cars with new speedocables, i seem to have a noise from behind the instruments. I suspect the speedowire, as the noise varies with speed.

What might be the cause here?

First, it might be the speedometer itself and not the cable. However, it is most likely the cable, in which case the two most obvious causes are: Kink in cable and/or lack of lubrication.

There is a powdered graphite lube sold specifically for locks and as a speedometer cable lubricant. I have also seen many brew up their own concoction of atf and molylube and inject it into the speedo cable. Too much and it you will eventually find it collecting where the cable meets the transmission. I have also seen lubricants like bicycle grease mit teflon lightly coated over the cable and reinserted into the sheath.

HTH

yb.dll

There are many other retail versions:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

"SLIPKOTE
SPEEDOMETER GREASE
is a premium quality, low temperature calcium grease that provides superior flexible cable housing lubrication at temperatures as low as -65°F. It is designed to prevent pulsating in wet or dry conditions and will outperform an ordinary grease as a speedometer cable lubricant in Automotive, Truck, Farm, Marine, and Industrial applications. "
[/FONT]

https://www.paddockparts.com/Paddoc...sion&mscssid=000755FF4A281634653B3C4B6A3CD081
28.png

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks for the straightforward analysis.
I don´t see whree the kink might be. It can only take one long rounded path from gearbox to the speedometer....
As to lubrication: I did not add any prior to installing it. Dind´t know I had to. It is new and presumably had some from the factory. They are new rather than NOS.

Might try to disconnect it, just to make sure the fault lies there. Pain to do, but perhaps easier at gearbox end....

bengal taiga

Reaction score
As to lubrication: I did not add any prior to installing it. Dind´t know I had to. It is new and presumably had some from the factory. They are new rather than NOS.

Might try to disconnect it, just to make sure the fault lies there. Pain to do, but perhaps easier at gearbox end....

It may be inconvenient, but I think you are going to have to uncouple the cable at the speedometer to determine the true source of the sound. If you hear the noise without the speedo working, you have your answer. If it is the cable making the noise, you are still going to have to uncouple the cable up top if you plan to lube it with the aid of gravity. Another equally inconvenient process would be to get a mechanic's stethoscope or put a tube to your ear, jack up the driving wheels, and start listening to pinpoint the sound.

The fact that you have two separate examples of noise is odd. It suggests a slight change in your routing of the cables (too tight a bend?), or the possibility that both "new" cables were stored strangely, or maybe both cables just have an ever so slight "defect" or quirk. Another possibility is that the noise is normal and that the cable is contacting a part of the body causing some added resonation. After all, they may be quiet, but few moving parts are absolutely silent.

What ever the case, that noise indicates friction and rubbing. It might go away on its own after an initial "run in" although this hasn't been my experience. Then again, I don't think I've played with more than a handful of new speedo cables, so I am speaking from inexperience. I have had some noisy speedo cables. I have also had some noisy tach cables too. Lubrication tends to help and given the number of products out there, there must be some call for it. :wink:

Good luck (and ssssshhhhhhhhhhh.)!