Nice E9.... or better M5

Rek

Reaction score
Its not really a kit car but an E39 M5 in the skin of an E9. Its nice looking (not the inside) and I am sure its a really nice drive as its an M5 but it does not "float my boat". I am sure it will for someone else. As to the price, netto or brutto, the market will decide I guess.

I think the only thing really really wrong, is that it has no provenance at all. Its not an E9, its a E39 M5 and are they worth that much?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Rob, brutto is included ( German) tax , netto is price for export when tax has to be payed in country of the buyer.
And yes , i call that a "kit" car…. could for example never pass tech inspection here in Belgium.....that would be a huge problem
Germany is easyer on those matters, and in the UK all get licensed with 4 wheels :D

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it's awesome. E9 could have been a rust bucket.

Is it me or are the fender lips not stock looking? Are they wider to incorporate a wider e39 track?

Dohn

Reaction score
Impressive to squeeze M5 mechanicals into an e9, considering how much larger new cars are. I'm sure it's fun to drive, but the extended side sills and rear valence destroy the grace of the e9's lines. The body looks like it's perched on the frame.

Reminds me of the 50s Corvettes mounted on the modern frames; just doesn't work visually, or particularly well mechanically.

Rek

Reaction score
Impressive to squeeze M5 mechanicals into an e9, considering how much larger new cars are. I'm sure it's fun to drive, but the extended side sills and rear valence destroy the grace of the e9's lines. The body looks like it's perched on the frame.

Reminds me of the 50s Corvettes mounted on the modern frames; just doesn't work visually, or particularly well mechanically.

Have a look at the interior which is standard E39 M5. They did not squeeze M5 mechanicals into an E9 but if they had, I agree that it would have been spectacular.

Their method was to "peel" the skin off an M5 and replace it with the skin of an E9. The results look great but a deeper look shows that the proportions are just so slightly out.

Another clue is under the bonnet/hood. Thats a standard E39 engine bay.

I would bet that it goes like the wind, handles superbly, and breathes life into and old M5. Whether that 'life' is worth what they are asking is debatable.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A lot of body work, very sensitive and artistic modification had to be done to fit the M5 chassis with wider track and longer wheel base into the E9 shell! The first one that was done in Germany while back the body , metal work modification was done in Poland ! I find the story on internet and post it!
The romanian metal work and fabrications (like Argentinaians) is at very high quality ! That combined with German technical know how, attention to quality, safety and Performace is a perfect marriage !
This is a dream car , a super hot rod !

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have a look at the interior which is standard E39 M5. They did not squeeze M5 mechanicals into an E9 but if they had, I agree that it would have been spectacular.

Their method was to "peel" the skin off an M5 and replace it with the skin of an E9. The results look great but a deeper look shows that the proportions are just so slightly out.

Another clue is under the bonnet/hood. Thats a standard E39 engine bay.

I would bet that it goes like the wind, handles superbly, and breathes life into and old M5. Whether that 'life' is worth what they are asking is debatable.
Yes, correct ! That is exactly what they did ! All the inner working of the car have not changed from the M5.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Without seeing the details of how they grafted the body on I'll hold my excitement. It's VERY difficult to do and usually falls short...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I probably mentioned this the first time the car was posted here. This one always reminds me of the 928 rabbit built in the late 70's. It was 9" wider than a normal rabbit. A similar approach to the e9 above, it was a 928 with a custom fabricated rabbit skin.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/news/a24826/super-rabbit/

928-721256.jpg